• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

agm battery opinion

I have whatever oreilly's in house AGM battery is and for what I remember, it's made by deka.

You are correct. East Penn builds the O'Reillys Super Start AGM, Deka Intimidator, and the Co-op Extreme Magna Power (in Tennessee). The batteries are the same, just different names.

I have run them for many years in a lot of different vehicles and they have been abused. I will always run them.

Made in the USA in Pennsylvania.

I shouldn't have to treat a battery special for $200. It should be jumping out of the jeep and climbing into the driver's seat to blow me.

I'm quoting this just because its the best thing I have seen you say since "my dad won it". ;)

I have a new standard to hold batteries to. Man, life just keeps getting better and better.

It is. You retire yet? Coming west to do some rocky wheeling?

I have 23 months left, I'll probably retire right before thanksgiving of 2016.

I would very much like to spend a vacation in JV with the jeep, like a goatfest.

I tried to get stationed at 29 palms, but there's no aviation element there. I don't want to live in San Diego.

San Diego is on the short list of places I'd be willing to live.

If you make it out west to do some wheeling, give me some advanced notice and I'll make sure to be around.

My first yellow top optima lasted 1 year. The second one lasted 1.5 years. The red top in a friend's ranger lasted 2 years. I refuse to buy optima now. The guy at Autozone says he sees lots of them come back with dead cells, which is the problem both of mine had.

I've heard good things about the Sears Diehard platinum and would like to try one.

The only electrical mod on my Jeep when I had the Optimas was a set of KCs that were wired to come on with my high beams. I'm not going to spend $200 on a battery that leaves me stranded an hour from home with no warning.

I too have had problems with Optima batteries. In one case it shorted out internally so that I had to disconnect the battery cables to get the thing started. I mentioned it to one of my car buddies when I was over at his shop and he pointed to a stack of them on the floor, all had failed on him.

I have killed two red tops over the years. I run a Sears platinum in one jeep and the O'Reillys AGM in the other.

My Optima experience has been good... living in the desert traditional lead acid batts. struggled to last over 3 yrs. I don't know if I'll stick with Optima as I too have heard less than positive comments recently. Odyssey or the Die Hard maybe.
I WILL NEVER buy an Exide... 1st. was like 14 mons. & left me 25+ miles from pavement with my family. The replacement lasted maybe 16 mons. F ! them & their POS product.
Obviously your experience might be different, but I'll pass even if I have to buy a K-Mart or similar POS batt.

Curt

Maybe I've gotten lucky, but I've got a red top in my tow rig that sits for 3 weeks to 3 months at a time, and starts every time. I put that in about a year and a half ago. (it starts a 5.9L cummins, just 1 battery, by the way)

I've got a yellow top in the buggy that sits 6 months, has never been on a charger, and starts every time, that I installed in 2008?

Granted I have no electrical draws, and have never killed the battery from running the stereo all night, so that might have something to do with it.

Also the availability of the HD mounts for the optima shape makes them appealing for custom applications.

Back