• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

acura integra with rod knock....

Hellbent

NAXJA Forum User
so my sister ran her '94 integra low on oil. i got a call that it was "making noise". i listened to it on the phone as she's in temecula and i'm not. it's definitely rod knock, not horrible, but it's knocking. i had her stop driving it and tow it home(it'd only been making the noise since that morning). i have now been recruited to fix this thing. what are the chances that it can be saved with a bottom end bearing replacement? obviously, i won't know how bad it is until i pull some caps. anybody here have experience with these motors? assuming new mains and rods will fix it, how much of a PITA is it to do this from the underside with the motor in the car? would it be worth the hassle of pulling the whole thing out? if it matters at all, i'm being told it's a gsr.

If your main bearing are the cause then you are effed, your gonna have to pull the tranny to get the crank off. If its just in the rods then maybe you can get by with just dropping the pan and trying to get them off by turning the crank and removing them one by one, either one is a pain but if you wanna do it on the cheap, thats how its gonna have to be done. By the way, you have to get the oil pump and the rear main seal off to the the crank to drop.

good luck!

edit: doing it out of the car would be the easiest, how ever if you have the time and a engine hoist, then pull it and do it out of the engine bay. Pull the main girdle and check it out. hope its not as bad as it sounds. GS-R motors aint cheap...:p

good luck.

Last edited:
If your main bearing are the cause then you are effed, your gonna have to pull the tranny to get the crank off. By the way, you have to get the oil pump and the rear main seal off to the the crank to drop.

forgot about that part. i believe the rod bearings are going to be the only issue, as it still holds pretty good oil pressure and wasn't driven for long after it started knocking.

edit: doing it out of the car would be the easiest, how ever if you have the time and a engine hoist, then pull it and do it out of the engine bay. Pull the main girdle and check it out. hope its not as bad as it sounds. GS-R motors aint cheap...:p

good luck.

i know replacing the motor is going to cost more than she has right now. trying to keep it on the cheap, without doing a hack job. flipping the motor over on a stand would be way nicer than screwing with the engine on my back in a driveway. i've got nothing but time right now...

forgot about that part. i believe the rod bearings are going to be the only issue, as it still holds pretty good oil pressure and wasn't driven for long after it started knocking.

i know replacing the motor is going to cost more than she has right now. trying to keep it on the cheap, without doing a hack job. flipping the motor over on a stand would be way nicer than screwing with the engine on my back in a driveway. i've got nothing but time right now...

Yeah, pull it and work on it on a stand or in your room like i did :p

While I have never done this in an acura, I have changed several rod bearing sets for people in the car. I always reccomend against it. Even a little knocking will usually get the rod journal slightly out of round, and the rod itself will likely be slightly stretched out of round as well. Best advice is to pull it and get a reground crank and a new rod or get yours reconditioned. The best results I have had doing it in the car was 3 months knock free........

While I have never done this in an acura, I have changed several rod bearing sets for people in the car. I always reccomend against it. Even a little knocking will usually get the rod journal slightly out of round, and the rod itself will likely be slightly stretched out of round as well. Best advice is to pull it and get a reground crank and a new rod or get yours reconditioned. The best results I have had doing it in the car was 3 months knock free........

thank you. this is something else i was concerned about. i do not want to pull the motor again in a few months.

Back