• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About the jerk...

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Oy. Most of you know me. I am GSequoia/Geoff/Sequoia/Armstrong/The Jerk. Last I checked I was 34 years old and lived in Torrance. I have a wife, Holly (who most of you have not met), a five year old son, Sebastian (who many of you have met), and a two year old daughter, Charlotte (who has AAT hours, do you?). I run the IT Department for a national commercial real estate firm with over 10m rentable square feet of space.

I was the first SoCal chapter president and am currently Vice President. While I am proud of many of the accomplishments my BOD and myself made during my presidency what I am most proud of is establishing our relationship with the San Bernardino National Forest Adopt-A-Trail group in 2004. I am a firm believer in boots on the ground activity to keep our trails open.

I have been deeply involved in planning the majority of the SoCal Fest events for the past ten years and plan to continue doing so. I also spearheaded the Tech Day project and the ten year anniversary raffle and products.

For the 2014 - 2015 year I see us focusing on continuing to grow through well-placed events and helping to maintain the best XJ site on the Internet. I would also like to see participation in Adopt-A-Trail activities increase.

Thank you for your time.

In my best Jerk Voice:

1: Have you taken part in an official volunteer trail effort outside of NAXJA? I'm referring to organized trail cleanups, adopt-a-trail organizations, and other boots on the ground activities to keep recreation areas open.

2: Do you feel NAXJA as a whole participates enough in this type of activity or should NAXJA participate more?

3: If you feel that NAXJA should participate more, what would you suggest to motivate members and/or chapters to take part in said activities?

4: How much do 6 unmounted 35" BFG KM2's weigh?

In my best Jerk Voice:

1: Have you taken part in an official volunteer trail effort outside of NAXJA? I'm referring to organized trail cleanups, adopt-a-trail organizations, and other boots on the ground activities to keep recreation areas open.

Very little this year. I follow a couple of other SBNF-AAT clubs but have not been able to join in on their activities due to scheduling conflicts and the fact that I try to bias my volunteer time toward our existing AAT relationship; this fiscal year I've volunteered 56 hours (less than my goal of 100).

2: Do you feel NAXJA as a whole participates enough in this type of activity or should NAXJA participate more?

No. I think NAXJA should increase participation levels in AAT and other volunteer activities. We have a good head start here in SoCal but we could be doing a lot better given are membership numbers.

3: If you feel that NAXJA should participate more, what would you suggest to motivate members and/or chapters to take part in said activities?

That's tough to say, I'm still thinking about it. A well-advertised incentive program (end of year raffle) will help, I'm sure.

4: How much do 6 unmounted 35" BFG KM2's weigh?

What wheel size?

35x12.50x15

According to BFG's website at 60.5 pounds per tire you're talking 363 pounds. Six tires will take up a lot of room but I am confident you will be able to get them all strapped to your roof rack in time for the next trip filled with off-camber sections.

According to BFG's website at 60.5 pounds per tire you're talking 363 pounds. Six tires will take up a lot of room but I am confident you will be able to get them all strapped to your roof rack in time for the next trip filled with off-camber sections.

363lbs may be a little lighter than I've had in the past....

Thanks for answering my questions, Good luck on your Nomination!

Hi Jerk,

Thank you for posting a thread about yourself so voters can get to know you.

a few questions:

how do you feel about opening the BOD forum to membership viewing? I personally don't believe paying members should be barred from seeing what goes on there.

how do you feel about increasing the number of BOD positions in order to spread the workload out?

how would you improve the member experience? are there any policies you would change?

how do you feel about opening the BOD forum to membership viewing? I personally don't believe paying members should be barred from seeing what goes on there.

Pretty much dead set against that. The BOD forum should remain private. To properly function we should expect BOD members/guests to be able to speak freely; they will not do so if it is publicly viewable. A good example here is discussing disciplinary action against a friend and/or popular member. You also must realize that sometimes we will discuss sensitive issues either of a personal or legal matter, for obvious reasons we need to minimize access to that.

You have elected your BOD to lead. Let them do so.

how do you feel about increasing the number of BOD positions in order to spread the workload out?

I have already committed to doing so behind the scenes, it just has not yet been made public (well it has now). I planned to have two Director and Large seats come up for vote in this voting cycle but with the turmoil of September through October is slipped my mind, this plan has the backing of the two other BOD members. I intend to call for a special election in early 2014 to get these DALs in.

how would you improve the member experience? are there any policies you would change?

At this point I do not have any concrete ideas that aren't already in play. I believe that the projects I have initiated and/or supported over the past year and a half or so have helped the chapter.

Back