• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A nice day in the XJ today

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
Not many pics this time. :( Had a nice time, just got home.

Engine temps were good, with the addition of the coolers. However, I believe the "failsafe" t-stat got too hot and did as designed... failed in the open position. No trail damage on my XJ, a few scrapes on one of the long arms, and a rock rail is well polished.

The Commander did suffer some carnage. On a steep rock climb, the front end started coming around. To avoid a potential roll, he backed up, but hit a tree. Another guy winched as he finished the climb. Tailgate is dented.

6 hours on the trails/arroyos. Burned 1/2 tank of gas. Was a good way to spend my day off.

A couple guys shot some video, will link to them as soon as they post them on our local forum.

DSCN0503.jpg

DSCN0502.jpg

DSCN0501.jpg

DSCN0500.jpg

DSCN0499.jpg

DSCN0498.jpg

A few more pics of my XJ from today:

2011-03-25_15-07-43_733.jpg

2011-03-25_15-10-23_675.jpg

2011-03-25_15-11-21_790.jpg

2011-03-25_15-11-32_505.jpg

2011-03-25_15-25-01_431.jpg

It is a lot of lift, yes. Barely fits in the garage. I wheel it whenever I get the chance... at LEAST once a month. More when possible.

Those crappy mirrors can be had at any auto parts store. Love/hate relationship. I have broken a couple, but the stock ones are too small to give a good field of vision.

that's a lot of lift

do you remember where you got those mirrors?

The Commander did suffer some carnage. On a steep rock climb, the front end started coming around. To avoid a potential roll, he backed up, but hit a tree. Another guy winched as he finished the climb. Tailgate is dented.

Ill take a dented tailgate than a roll any day. Especially on something that nice. I say "good save" ;)

Ill take a dented tailgate than a roll any day. Especially on something that nice. I say "good save" ;)

Hell yes! He did it right, the pics do not do justice as to how steep that climb is. Once the front end starts coming around, you have to make a choice. He did well.

A capable Jeep, and a smart driver. He is doing a Utah trip later this month, whish I could take the time off to join in.

the first 2 pics didn't look too bad... till you see the one with the guy trying to climb up. I was like Holy hell! lol

Yup, is actually quite steep. Some of the rock formations in that area are quite similar to Moab. Good traction, so even very steep stuff is doable, but turns to powder with wheel spin. Best thing is, it is 35 min away from my house. Almost like heaven. Easy to get bored with it, but after living on the east coast for 5 years, I will not complain about a fine place to play... and free.

Love your XJ, very nice!

I have a Hemi Commander but i can't bring myself to wheel it yet, too new.

I did go to the east coast Commander get-together last year but I took my XJ and wheeled with them. I had a blast and the Commander is a very capable Jeep regardless of what most people think!

P1020418.jpg

that looks like the ride in the Commander got a bit sketchy.

I wish I lived where you do :(

Yup, they do hold their own.

Love your XJ, very nice!

I have a Hemi Commander but i can't bring myself to wheel it yet, too new.

I did go to the east coast Commander get-together last year but I took my XJ and wheeled with them. I had a blast and the Commander is a very capable Jeep regardless of what most people think!

I can't stand the wk, but the Commander isnt bad looking at all.

Cool to see him wheel it.

Nice pics, Ive had rain for almost 3 weeks straight, wish I had nice weather like you!

I wish they has styled the WK like the commander. I love the look, but that thing is SO honkin huge. I also like the KK lib style as well, they managed to make it seem a little more masculine IMHO.
Need this: KK body on JK frame with a Hemi in it.

I wish they has styled the WK like the commander. I love the look, but that thing is SO honkin huge. I also like the KK lib style as well, they managed to make it seem a little more masculine IMHO.
Need this: KK body on JK frame with a Hemi in it.

The XK is only slightly longer than the XJ and is about the same width, it fits the trails real well.

The XK and WK share the same wheelbase and drivetrain until 2011 when Jeep screwed up and went IRS on the GC.

My XK has the QT2(does not have the E-slips F/R) so my rear axle is a "Semi Floating" 8.25 and has a better track record(and after-market support) than the AAM830 that the QD2 has. Someday I might convert my trail rigs 8,25 to a semi floater using the XK axle parts. Just gotta look at it and see how it all goes together.

I have spent some time under the XK and I don't think it would be that hard to do a SAS on the front. With the HEMI and a good set of axle's F/R the XK would make the perfect Jeep IMHO

The Commander driver shot some video. Roof mounted cam connected to his laptop. The clip is short, as he ran out of battery.

The entrance ridge and one hill (that I fogot to put it in 4wd for). Another spot when going down a hill, the guy got a little nervous when he was on 2 wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gz704NaX2Q8

Back