• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few questions

hello naxja community! i have made a recent purchase of a 2001 cherokee. found it on facebook. needed quite a bit of work, new head and and a bunch of "bugs", most of which ive been able to fix just by using the search feature on this site. its been in an accident and needs the front part of the "frame" pulled out to mount the right side bumper bracket, this is my first jeep so i'm not too familiar with the product but it seems pretty simple compared to most other manufacturers. i'm wondering what the wire is for that is mounted on the lower part of the rad. support? do the keys have transponders in them? is there an easy way to run the foglights? this one did not come equipped from the factory with them. i have located a bumper that has them and got a switch from the junkyard but have yet to tear into my own dash. basically what i'm asking is if they come pre-wired from the factory for them? one last thing, has anyone swapped over a ceiling console from a grand cherokee? this thing is really limited for driver storage compartments and i think this would help. thanks in advance for any and help!

The only thing I can answer is that the keys do not have transponders in them. They are very easy to steal. I've been thinking of installing a trans and possibly a transfer care lock on it if at all possible.

Sorry I can't be of better help.

The wire under the radiator is for the optional Overhead Console temperature sender. Only the 97-01 XJ Cherokee overhead consoles will plug and play, the wire harnesses are year specific. Grand Cherokee consoles require some extensive modifications. SKIM Chip-in-Key anti-theft was optional for 97-01. The SKIM keys are thicker than normal and gray in color. 97-01 Fog Lamps are not plug and play, but you can use the factory switch and install your own lamps, wires, and relay.

There is an enormous goldmine of XJ Cherokee information available to you by reading the FAQ's and using a Google search. Nearly any Cherokee question you might have, has been asked and answered. Google can restrict your search results to the NAXJA forum only. Use the Google Advanced Search page, or follow your Google search words with this, site:NAXJA.org

Start here - Frequently Asked Questions and Tech write-ups

Last edited:
Back