• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A couple questions on 87 XJs

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, my restoration of my 87 XJ Laredo is almost complete (about 85-90%) and I was just wondering a few things. First and most important is paint. I want to get my Jeep the same color it was out of the factory. I had the build sheet (and I still do its SOMEWHERE in my house) and it said that it was Grenadine Matallic with Cordovan seats. Now in late 87 (I'm pretty sure it was after the 88 model year had started) when Chrysler bought out AMC, they changed some stuff around, and I can't find any mention of Grenadine on the Jeep pallet after 87. However, I'm almost 100% sure that they did infact use this color of paint into the early 90s, but just called it somthing different, I'm so sure they kept the color because I scrapped a 1990 XJ pioneer last year, and it was the same color as my 87. If any one knows any thing about this it would be a huge help to me, since my XJ is going in for paint in a week or 2. Now my other questions, in 87, the first year for the 4.0, it is listed as only making 173hp and 220 lbs.-ft. of torque, but in 88 its listed at 177 hp, what changed to make the extra 4hp? The last question is, does any one have any broshure images or anything on the 87s, I can't find any thing like that anywhere. I'd just like to know what my Jeep has and dosn't have as far as options and stuff go and what the difference is between say the Laredo and the Pioneer or the Chief. If anyone can answer any of these questions it'd be a great help.

go to a good auto paint place. they should have a chrysler paint strip to show you all of the colors that they used in that year. look on the firewall by the brake booster. there should be a metal tag with all of the codes you need. just write them down and take it in. if your paint guys cant get you the right factory color, i'd go somewhere else...

I have a sales brochure for '87 in hand. I can tell you what its says if you have some specific questions.

Back