• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99+ Intake upgrade question with TJ parts.

Cburb88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So just to make sure I think the 99+ 4.0s from tj xj and zj are all alike but will everything I need for a complete intake swap work on my 94 for the swap? As in the intake, PS bracket, belt, pump and whatever else?

I have a chance to get a blown up 2000 tj engine I was going to use for this swap and maybe even use the injectors from it but not too sure If everything is like the 99+ xjs. Just want to be sure before I buy the whole thing.

The intake, bracket and pump will all bolt up fine. You can gasket match the intake if you want but there's been claims of power loss from doing so, slows the air speed in the runners just before the valve. That's your choice. I did the swap on my 94 engine and didn't have any problems. My truck is a Renix so I only used those three parts. Not sure on the belt since I did the Durango alternator and deleted the A/C at the same time. Good Luck.

Alright cool just wanted to confirm was curious of something was different for the tj body style. I'm getting a 62mm throttle body at same time as well. Possibly a hesco regulator and run 24 lb injectors Maybe porting who knows.

You can gasket match the intake if you want but there's been claims of power loss from doing so, slows the air speed in the runners just before the valve.
When you gasket match the intake you make the manifold runner larger than the head port. Creating a nice wall for the incoming air to hit. Of course that is going to create a power loss. Why would you gasket match anyhing?

I can get this blown up complete 2000 TJ engine for 100 bucks so as long as the intake, PS bracket and pump work mainly im golden. If i get a hesco regulator i might try to run the injectors as well at 24 lbs, when i swap the intake on im going to install a 63mm TB from stroked jeep at same time and fix my header or just replace it with an OEM style since i swear i lost torque going to the high flow APN header but who knows.

Ill probably keep some of the 4.0 parts around from it depending whats good probably not the head though since i think its a 0331 head would be nice if the block was ok, might start a stroker build then.

The intake manifold off the 2000 will work fine.

The different one I was talking about looks to be a 05-06 TJ
$T2eC16ZHJGkFFm9O6j!ZBSe0SRCp,g~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:
Turns out the power steering pump bracket from this engine is not the one i need. This engine has the automatic tensioner so the bracket on this engine doesnt allow you to adjust the serpentine belt. I had to buy the bracket separate.

Back