• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 vs 98?

jccinohio

NAXJA Forum User
I found a 98 online at a local junkyard.. I have a 97..

Are there any differences in the body between the two years?

It has mud flaps that I want, are there any differences in 98 vs 97 in the mud flap nether region?

I also need the bracket that holds the back passenger bumper moulding onto the quarter panel. I assume that part should be the same?

Also want the fog lights, same?

Thanks

Body wise, no difference between 97 & 98.

Electronics of a 97 are more closely related to the 96's, as there was some cross over between 96 & 97. For example, on some early build 97's you can do the "key clicky" thing to get diagnostic code readings from the odometer. On later build '97s all you get is the power test of the various dash gauge indicators.

Fog lights should be the same.

Body wise, no difference between 97 & 98.

Electronics of a 97 are more closely related to the 96's, as there was some cross over between 96 & 97. For example, on some early build 97's you can do the "key clicky" thing to get diagnostic code readings from the odometer. On later build '97s all you get is the power test of the various dash gauge indicators.

Fog lights should be the same.

Thanks! What is this 'clicky' thing of which you speak? I know I can reset the ECM if I turn the key on-off 5 times. Got my 97 in June '97.

Early 97 xj turn the key from off to on 3 times on the third time leave the key on the codes will flash where the mileage is 12 is starting 55 is last code.

Really? I've got a '96, '97 & '99 (all 4.0, automatic Ltd's) &, apart from the rotors, all the differences I've found have between the '96 & '97. Although, other than swapping the '96 TC into the '97 (& finding I can't put the '96 trans. in the '99) not had much dealings in that area.

Yes, the '98 and up trans has two speed sensors. I think the NSS changed too. They call it a range elector.

Back