• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4-hi over voltage

Thumpinghard25

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. I have a 1998 XJ (aw4-np231) that I bought bone stock and blown up. I'm currently finish a ground up build on this thing and discovered that my part time 4wd light flickers and stays on in 2wd. However when I put the transfer case in 4-hi the voltage skyrockets and I get a CEL for over voltage. I figure there is a short somewhere but where should I start looking? Visually inspecting the wires running above the tranny shows no evidence of damage. Dos connecting the plug on the transfer case still results in OV in 4HI as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you disconnecting the front plug or the rear one for the VSS? If you unplug the one beside the front shaft there is no reason it should be getting any power to the lights on the dash. Check and make sure the linkage is not pinching the wires when it is moved.

Back