• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L TJ/LJ - Trail idle question(s)

WB9YZU

NAXJA Forum User
I don't see this with the XJ because it's an Auto, but the LJ is a Manual.

When idling down a steep trail, I will tend to use my brakes for additional braking and rely on the engine to keep puttering along at a low idle.

Problem is if the ECU thinks things are not exciting enough, it will pop the idle up to prevent the engine from stalling and change a nice controlled decent into a race to see if I can get to the Clutch faster than the ECU can rev the engine.

My best guess is that the IAC motor is adjusting the idle air to bring up the RPM because something down stream caught a whiff of fuel.

Has anyone run into a bypass for this issue. I realize that some Engineer figured this was some awesome idea, but in reality, it's dangerous.

The other one is also idle related, but the other way. Has anyone seen an idle up mod for the TJ/LJ ? It would be nice to have extra RPMs to charge the battery.

-Ron

Not sure about Q1.
But for Q2, I believe that the ext idle setup was/can be used like in some of the later model XJ's.

Back