• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Build Questions - 98

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. I've been reading through Dino's site every couple months as I learn more about engines & tech and it makes more sense every time. Now I've got a question:
In 96 they bumped the fuel pressure from 39 to 49 PSI and the lbs / hour from 21 to 23.2.
Add enough airflow mods (cold air, TB, 99 intake, headers & exhaust, etc) and you start to run lean. Relocating the intake air temp. sensor to a colder section fools the engine into feeding more gas but eventually this isn't enough. Dino and many others found the need for heavier injectors to keep a high performance 4.0 running a proper air/ fuel mixture. Ford 24 lb injectors fit the bill for some strokers but at 4.0 displacement, they are overkill - now you run rich, drop the IAT trick and go with a MAP adjuster to change the duty cycle on the injectors, keeping air / fuel proper.
This is all on a 95 or older engine.
If you are running the 49 PSI / 23.2 lb injector setup with OBDII computer, could you manage the full package of intake / exhaust modifications (naturally aspirated) and bump to 9.5 compression, stick a new cam in there and expect the factory fuel / spark control to keep it running properly? Expected power output with 99 intake, 2.5" hi flow exhaust, bored TB and free flow intake?

Back