• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2015 Baja 1000 - anyone going?

the_midwesterner

NAXJA Forum User
Didn't see a post about this, but I am wondering if anyone from this area is going or has gone in the past?

A couple buddies from out of town and I are packing some 4runners and heading down. Don't really have a plan, other than we are for sure watching some of the race and camping on the beach. We also booked an Airbnb in the nice part of town, just in case.

Anybody got some advice on good places to camp or watch the race from?

I am fluent in Spanish and we have traveled to Mexico before, so we have a general idea what to expect. Just looking for some more info on the race part of things.

Any info would be awesome!

Do you have a race radio? If not, get one. The race is so spread out that it's not really all that spectator friendly in terms of keeping track of what's happening. It's awesome to see the cars and bikes go by, but without a radio you're really in the dark on what's going on.

Whatever you do though, DO NOT sit on your mic. Everybody on the peninsula does not wanna hear your conversation. I generally tune my radio into weatherman and then unplug the mic.

I haven't been there in years, but I always loved San Felipe.

Though the last couple times I went, I noticed more and more bars/clubs. Not the same sleepy little fishing village I was used to.

But I always try and avoid entering through T.J.. T.J., Rosarito, and Ensinada are pretty notorious for cops pulling you over looking for bribes.

The biggest thing you need to plan out is your fuel stops. Any of the smaller rural towns will be shut down on Sunday and will have no fuel available.

Above all, pay attention, drive sober, try not to drive at night, and respect your host country and you will have a pretty awesome time.

If you do go to San Felipe, go to Tony's on the malecon for fish tacos. Then on race day, head out to Zoo Road to watch the action...

You never heard about the Marine who was thrown in jail for accidentally crossing the border with weapons in his car? Definitely not a good idea.

But absolutely carry a stack of stickers with you. Doesn't matter what kind (maybe not a "Trump in 2016" sticker). Everybody loves stickers, even the soldiers at the military checkpoints.

I believe, if you are driving, you can enter Mexico with an Enhanced drivers license. At least, you can drive across to Canada with one. If you are flying, for sure you need a passport. But probably better with a passport, regardless.

David "i have both" Bricker / SYR

I believe, if you are driving, you can enter Mexico with an Enhanced drivers license....

Yes. But you will need a passport to return to the U.S.

Who has to show a passport or another accepted document, and what about children?

In a nutshell, U.S. and Canadian citizens older than 16 years old have to show a passport, passport card or another accepted document to cross back into the U.S. Children under 16 may show an original or copy of their birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, a Canadian Citizenship Card or a passport if they have one.

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/uspassport.php

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't have a passport, however:

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.
What is an enhanced driver’s license?
State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.
The Department has been working with states to enhance their driver’s licenses and identification documents to comply with travel rules under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), effective June 1, 2009.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

If driving, an Enhanced drivers license is sufficient. If flying, it is not.

David Bricker / SYR

Last edited:
A passport "card" is also a less expensive way to not have to get a passport if you don't have the cash.

Couple years ago, coming back from the Baja 1000, we had six people in a van. Five with passports and one with a regular drivers license. There was no problem crossing. But of course, you have to be an obvious white person to be able to get away with that.

Do you have a race radio? If not, get one. The race is so spread out that it's not really all that spectator friendly in terms of keeping track of what's happening. It's awesome to see the cars and bikes go by, but without a radio you're really in the dark on what's going on.

Whatever you do though, DO NOT sit on your mic. Everybody on the peninsula does not wanna hear your conversation. I generally tune my radio into weatherman and then unplug the mic.

Thanks! We are here now and this is REALLY GOOD INFO!!!!! We are always pretty respectful while on public frequencies. We have used the weatherman frequency to plan our whole trip and make last minute changes based on race updates.

I haven't been there in years, but I always loved San Felipe.

Though the last couple times I went, I noticed more and more bars/clubs. Not the same sleepy little fishing village I was used to.

But I always try and avoid entering through T.J.. T.J., Rosarito, and Ensinada are pretty notorious for cops pulling you over looking for bribes.

The biggest thing you need to plan out is your fuel stops. Any of the smaller rural towns will be shut down on Sunday and will have no fuel available.

Above all, pay attention, drive sober, try not to drive at night, and respect your host country and you will have a pretty awesome time.

If you do go to San Felipe, go to Tony's on the malecon for fish tacos. Then on race day, head out to Zoo Road to watch the action...

Good advice. Appreciate it. TJ wasn't bad, but we filled up right before we crossed the border and drove straight through. Ensenada may have changed though, we walked around the whole night going from bar to bar without any issues. Our assumption is that there is such a high influx of American people that maybe crime is a bit less. We also had the bright idea to walk back from downtown Ensenada to our Airbnb. GPS said it was like 1.5 miles, but like 3 miles later, we made it. Point is, we didn't feel unsafe or sketched out and it was just 2 white dudes and me(Hispanic guy). Maybe I fit in..? Ha!

But absolutely carry a stack of stickers with you. Doesn't matter what kind (maybe not a "Trump in 2016" sticker). Everybody loves stickers, even the soldiers at the military checkpoints.

This make sense now. We kept seeing the kids on the side of the roads with stickers signs and such, but we thought they were selling stuff so we didn't stop unless we had to. Next time, we will bring random stickers to give out.

You will also need a passport...

Yes, passport definitely required.

I believe, if you are driving, you can enter Mexico with an Enhanced drivers license. At least, you can drive across to Canada with one. If you are flying, for sure you need a passport. But probably better with a passport, regardless.

David "i have both" Bricker / SYR

A passport "card" is also a less expensive way to not have to get a passport if you don't have the cash.

Passport or passport card definitely needed.

Thanks for all the input folks. We are here now. We are sitting at like race mile 165 with the beach 20ish feet behind us and the course 20ish feet in front of us. We are at Punta San Jacinto, BC. If anyone else is thinking about doing this, DO IT!! people here are awesome and they are super hard core Baja fans. We are having a ball!!

Things I have learned:
-Bring race radios
-Fill up whenever you see a gas station(we overdid this, but rather to be safe than sorry). We are also carrying a 5-gal jug of spare fuel.
-People are generally friendly and mean well
-Get pesos BEFORE you cross the border. If they see dollars off the bat, prices change.
-If you can bring your Spanish speaking buddy, highly recommended.
-Also, it gets cold as shit. Like much colder than expected.

That's all I can think of for now.

12268502_10207127632380990_361451971_o-jpg.162236
Jessi Combs and Paige Sohren. Their team fixed the truck and they went on to finish...

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't have a passport, however:

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.
What is an enhanced driver’s license?
State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.
The Department has been working with states to enhance their driver’s licenses and identification documents to comply with travel rules under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), effective June 1, 2009.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

If driving, an Enhanced drivers license is sufficient. If flying, it is not.

David Bricker / SYR

they will allow you back in without a passport but they will hassle you. I've done it and it just seems to vary depending on the border agent's mood. When it happened to me i just got asked a bunch of questions and they let us by. A friend didn't have a passport and he was detained 4 hrs and they eventually let him through.

This was with a valid CA license.

Estero Beach would have been a good place to stay. They have a small track as well for quads. Every time I've gone BFG has a semi there to pickup and ship further south supplies for the lower peninsula pits! Its located south of Ensenada and has the same turn off as El Faro beach! Plenty of taco stands and a rotiserie chicken place on the corner of the main turn off in! Yes passport or a homeland security i.d.

Back