• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2008 Fall Fling

Hey guys, the National BOD would like to have chapters help with some of the events for Fall Fling '08. Some of the events are:

Hospitality night(s)-Mon or Tues night provide finger foods, chips and dip, beverages, etc.
This will be during registration and trail signup.

Show and Shine Contest and Awards Banquet- This will entail set up and tear down of site. Judging and awards for the entire Fling. This will be catered.

I would like to see the IC step up and host one of these events. Personally, I will be there for sure during the week, but not so sure for the weekend( might have Guard that weekend).

What do ya'll think?

I am planning on being there for the weekend, but the during the week is questionable. What day is the show and shine?

Seems to me Hospitality nights is a no brainer. Just cause we in a sense are the hosting chapter.

But... I don't care. Not my decision anymore (Thank God) :D

I would like to have an answer to the Nat. BOD by the time our meeting ends on the 10th of Dec.

I'm now leaning towards the hospitality night myself. Easy to do with minimal set up and tear down. 2 cons: 1) we would need to pay for the food and some beverages(donations? potluck?) 2) will we have enough people there for Tues afternoon/night to really host this?

What do ya think?

Let's do the hospitality nights. I'm planning on being there all week (Monday afternoon through Saturday night, maybe Sunday afternoon) so Josh and I should be able to take care of it together. Who knows what our funds will be like at that time, but if the bank account is still looking anemic I can pay for it.

Israel said:
Let's do the hospitality nights. I'm planning on being there all week (Monday afternoon through Saturday night, maybe Sunday afternoon) so Josh and I should be able to take care of it together. Who knows what our funds will be like at that time, but if the bank account is still looking anemic I can pay for it.
Does Steve or the current BOD have anymore input on this?:D

The hospitality night sounds like less people would be needed.
You would need to know if there would be a table or other place to set the food. Would we need to have bodies present?
Do we get to put up an IC banner:D

DaveW said:
The hospitality night sounds like less people would be needed.
You would need to know if there would be a table or other place to set the food. Would we need to have bodies present?
Do we get to put up an IC banner:D
There are picnic tables at the campground. I think we can hold off on how many people required until we get closer and see how many will be there that early. I would hope, since we would be hosting the event, we could put our banner up!:thumbup:

A few more details from Goatman on the Hospitality night...

The idea is to replace the hamburger dinner we did on Wed evenings as a get aquainted evening with a hospitality night whichever evening we think will be the first big evening people will be registering. I'd think either Mon or Tues evening.

The idea is to have light food and drinks over a period of time as a way to promote hanging out and visiting while people register, pick up their t-shirts, buy raffle tickets, and sign up for the trail runs. I'd like to see the chapter raise the funds to host it, so no charge to anyone. Also, it could be a big pot luck thing for the chapter, with folks bringing their favorite hor' dourves, finger food, dip, desserts, plus whatever the chapter might purchase to fix up, like hot links or whatever. Drinks would be sodas and beer. I'd figure it would be a few hundred dollars expense to the chapter, but a good project to work on. I wouldn't see a problem with setting out a can for donations, especially if we decide to provide beer....which i think we should do.

We can discuss the times, but something like 6:00 to 8:30. We'd set up in Slickrock campground next to the registration tables, and encourage people to bring their chairs and hang out. Maybe even set up some slides or videos from previous years if that seemed appropriate.

Thanks for looking into this,

Richard

I think a few of us could get this done easily...:chef:

XJumpmaster said:
A few more details from Goatman on the Hospitality night...

I'd figure it would be a few hundred dollars expense to the chapter, but a good project to work on.

I think a few of us could get this done easily...:chef:

I'm rethinking my offer to pay for it, if necessary. :D But I still think this would be a great project for us.

Israel said:
I'm rethinking my offer to pay for it, if necessary. :D But I still think this would be a great project for us.
We shouldn't have to pay for anything.

This is a national event and last time they made close to 20K on the give away jeep. I'm betting its even higher this year.

National can afford to pay for the food. If they won't we don't need to do a hospitality night.

XJumpmaster said:
Good point, but if we pay for it from donations, the chapter will make more of an effort to come to the fling. I have yet to read how many are even hinting on coming down, other than you, me, Israel, Steve, and Derek.
I think you will find most of the chapter there.

This will be a HUGE event and a good part of naxja is coming from all over the country. With 90% of our chapter within 300 miles... Its going to be huge.

If you want Mr VP...start a thread in our chapters asking for help. You don't really need to explain what the help is for, in case we change what we want to help with.

Or...I will do it.

I think that donations are fine, but I so think that since it is a national event, then then national should provide the funds so it can be done right. That takes the stress off of us from bugging everyone to donate money and focus on making the event great. If we are given a budget from the National BOD, then we can plan on what we can bring to make the event successful rather than being short on funds. Also I think that we need a dollar amount well in advance so we can have time to purchase things and have things ready so we are not throwing things together the last week before the event.

Where our chapter is hosting, I think that it is a great idea to get volunteers now so we can call on people when we need help woth something. I think that it is good not to ask for specific help yet due to the chance of it changing.

XJBANKER said:
I think that donations are fine, but I so think that since it is a national event, then then national should provide the funds so it can be done right.

A good point, especially considering where we stand financially as a chapter. If we do any fundraising, it should be to improve the health of our own account.

Israel said:
A good point, especially considering where we stand financially as a chapter. If we do any fundraising, it should be to improve the health of our own account.
Speaking of that. I just wrote a check to U4 for 850 bucks. We have 870 in the account. :D

I do have about a hundred in funds that haven't been deposited tho.

Back