• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2003 KJ Liberty Code P0306 problems...

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having issues on my wifes '03 3.7 Auto 4x4 (125K miles) KJ. It's had the CEL of P0306 for a while now... I've changed the Coil Pack (#6), changed plugs, replaced the Pass Valve Cover gasket to fix the oil leak, Checked the engine Compression and all cylinders are w/in spec, replaced busted Vacuum lines on both Cylinder sides to Air Intake ... (I have not changed any of the O2 Sensors, Cat Converters, Fuel Injectors) ... Up until yesterday the CEL was constantly ON. Yesterday it started sputtering when at a stop and the CEL was flashing. She drive it home ~ 2 miles.

When at home I pulled the Throttle Body and Idle Air Control Valve off to clean them and remove all the carbon. I had planned on doing this anyway as recently it started sputtering a bit at idle. Checked all the vacuum lines in the Engine bay and they were all in good shape. I cleared the CEL codes and took it for a drive. It idled much better and ran fine. Only drove it around for about 3 miles and did a lot of sudden stops, quick acceleration, sudden stops type of cycles. All was fine. No stumbling or stuttering.

One other thing I've noticed is that there is an unusual amount of white smoke coming out the tailpipe on the KJ especially when it's cold outside. Not the normal slight white puffs until it warms, but lots of white smoke. She also looses a bit of coolant consistently (~ 1 cup a week) and it's nowhere to be found in the engine bay. No leaks f/the radiator, water pump or thermostat housing. I'm really concerned about a leaking or blown head gasket. Wouldn't that reveal itself on the Compression Test I ran? I'm at a loss... don't want my wife to be driving around in a ticking time bomb.

Any other suggestions? Could there be any of the sensors that are causing this? Should I swap fuel injectors (#6 and #5) to see if the miss-fire code follows to Cylinder #5?, hate to throw more parts at this one but would like to get it fixed. Also I've noticed that there is always a bit of brown pudding like substance in the Oil Fill tube, on the plastic filler plug (not sure what it's called) that is under the Oil Fill Cap. But on checking the engine oil and when doing oil changes the oil does not have this, or I would assume Coolant in the Engine (not good). The old engine oil is just black and oily (as you'd expect).

Thanks...

Back