• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ, COILOVERS, FULL HYDRO, 37 CREEPY CRAWLERS, DELIVERED

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
11k DELIVERED....EVEN TO WEST COAST, YOU COVER TRAILER COST, I'LL COVER GAS. CLEAN TITLE IN HAND. Will consider trade for sports bike, newer Harley, plus cash or H&K pistols or rifles. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU'VE GOT!!!

standard.jpg

I am selling my fully customized 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I am moving to a place where I cannot take it so it is for sale. It has been built for rock crawling and has been used for daily driving use as well as competitions and general trail use. It has a current VA State inspection and licensed for road use. VERY custom set up and is a blast to drive! This Jeep will take you ANYWHERE and will do so in style! I will be selling the Jeep for cash but will entertain trade of a motorcycle plus cash.

For reference, it is currently in Quantico, VA. You can call Nick at 804-651-1826 if you have any other questions.

Details on the Jeep are as listed below.

-1999 Jeep Cherokee, Black

-4.0L, Straight Six, 149,000 miles

-AW-4 automatic transmission

-NP 231 Transfercase with Advance Adapters SYE

-Carolina Driveline double cardian rear drive shaft

-Custom Full Float Dana 44 Rear end, TNT Customs Truss, 6x5.5 Bolt Pattern, Solid Axle HD differential cover, Dutchman Chromoly Full Float axle shafts, Warn 30 Spline drive flanges, ARB Air Locker, 4.88 gears, disc brakes with e-brakes.

-Custom Dana 44 front axle, High Pinion, TNT Customs Truss, 6x5.5 bolt pattern, Solid Axle HD differential cover, Alloy USA 4340 Chromoly inner and outer shafts, Longfield U-joints, Reid Racing HD knuckles with high steer arms, set up for full hydro steering with ram guard and suckdown winch tab, ARB Air Locker, 4.88 gears, Howe Racing dual piston front calipers.

-Dodge 2500 Master Cylinder

-Doug Thorley Stainless Steel, Ceramic coated header

-Custom exhaust with high flow CAT and Flowmaster muffler

-PSC Motorsports full hydro steering, Doubled ended 2.5" x 8" stroke ram, PSC pump, PSC large resevoir, cooler, high quality fittings and lines, orbital valve fitted to give 3.5 turns lock to lock.

-Grant Steering Wheel with Grant steering wheel quick disconnect

-Alcan rear 5" leafs, Full Traction boomerang shackles

-Custom rear shackle box

-King 2.5x14" coilovers with external resevoirs custom sunk into the fenders, 250/300 springs, custom front frame truss and cross engine bracing

-TMR front frame stiffeners

-TNT Customs mid frame stiffeners

-TNT Y-link radius arm suspension with HD, high clearance belly pan

-Optima yellow top battery

-Rigid Co front and rear bumpers, front modified to accept competition style winches

-Custom narrowed Warn 8,000 lb winch with synthetic line

-LeBaron Hood Vents

-37x12.50x16 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers with full size matching spare

-KMC XD 16x8 Aluminum Wheels

-THOR side panel guards

-LED Brake lights and turn signals

-Currie Anti-Rock front sway bar

-Bilstein Rear shocks

-Removable front doors

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Feel Free to call Nick at 804-651-1826 if you have any questions.

Here's a link to all the pictures I have hosted, feel free to browse. http://www.fototime.com/inv/5BCA12447936DD6
Here's a link to the build thread. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=582469

Here are some PM's that I had sent about the Jeep a few weeks ago to a guy on Pirate. This should be helpful for anyone with questions.

I'm needing something that can be used as a reliable DD, and drive to and from the trails. Would your XJ be suitable for that? Usually once a year I make it to CO and UT from Texas, would it be up to comfortably driving that distance? (1500 each way)

Yes, I believe so. I've never trailered the Jeep anywhere and have DD'd it since I purchased it in 2003. It is mechanically sound and doesn't have any major problems with any component. There is an oil leak on the right side of the motor coming from the oil filter adapter. I have the new O-ring but I've been too lazy to fix because to me it isn't that big of a problem. A drop or two after about three hours of driving is all I get on the garage floor and the oil level never seems to fall between the oil changes. The oil has been changed every 3K miles with Shell Rotilla Diesel motor oil (10w-40). The power steering pump has whined since I installed it with the steering (it was brand new from PSC) and I haven't ever had an issue with it. Those are the only things I can think of that are mechanical in nature that can be considered "flaws". The valve trail obviously makes noise...its a 4.0, it does that....but it has never been anything out of the ordinary since I've owned the Jeep.

Things such as MPG? better or worse with the 37s than 35s? I could always throw some 35 KM2s on if it would make drive-ability a lot better for street creepys as trail tires.

It averages about 12 MPG with the 4.88's and 37's. I haven't been very happy with the set up and would prefer 35's right now. I can't really comment though on the mileage compared to how it was before, I never paid attention. I can say I much preferred 5.13's and 35's though. I preferred it for the torque it had and the ease on the engine, however that comes with considerably high rpm's which I haven't ever really been comfortable with. I would DEFINITELY NOT recommend the Creepy Crawlers for DD use but I do it, so I guess I'm a hypocritical wheeler. Can it be done, yes, definitely. I don't prefer the bias ply tires but I guess that comes with the territory. I would highly suggest that if you've got 35's, run them for DD use. I LOVE the Creepy's for off-road however. Down around 5 psi, goodness there isn't a better tire. I would imagine that if you used 35's for DD use and swapped to the 37's for the trail, you'd be very happy. Don't get me wrong, I can and will drive 1500 miles with the creepys, its just not very comfortable for everyone else.

How would you consider the overall finish of the jeep, interior, exterior, etc?

I would consider the exterior pretty decent. Its not a 10' looker, but being 10 years old I would say it looks pretty nice. I imagine that if you took a bit of time to polish and wax it that it would look pretty nice. There is a bit of surface rust around the fenders where rocks from the tires hit the paint, but nothing that wouldn't be able to be touched up. The roof has a few spots that need touching up and the front fascia/grille have a few paint chips and a bit of welding slag in it.

As of last weekend, there is a new "scratch" in the drivers side doors below where the molding would be. The roof on the passenger side rear also kissed a tree. I can and will provide pictures of all the blemishes if you are concerned and would like a look. The body is in good shape overall. The rockers have a bit of damage to them but that never was a big deal to me. I had plans to cut the rockers out and reinforce via 2x6 box before I was going to sell the Jeep so they are definitely damaged.

The interior is in great shape. All the carpet is installed and clean, all the panels are installed and match and are in great shape, the seats are free of stains, it looks really good except for a bit of dust.

General manners off-road-- stability, etc?

It preforms very well off-road. Very stable and well balanced yet maintains very acceptable articulation. Low speed crawling is very predictable and you have the option to use the winch as a suck-down winch.

Anything that needs to be fixed?

Nothing that NEEDS to be fixed. Its a Jeep and "fixing" is an excuse word I use with my wife. Theres tons that I'd like to finish given the time and cash. The Winch has given me issues as of lately and I can't figure it out, so I would consider it nothing other than an expensive hood ornament right now. I wouldn't trust it for a pull as it sits right now. BTW, it has 50' of winch line on it. The front windshield is old and could use a replacement. I'd like to have the time to wax and clay bar the hell out of it. I'd like to finish putting in the rear spring hangers I had been building and I'd like to have been able to finish the rockers, but overall, nothing needs to be done.

I'd like you to understand that this Jeep is a very capable off-road Jeep and DD's very well. There are a few quirks that because it is built for off-road need to be known.
-The rear leafs are designed to maintain 5" of lift with 400-500lbs of gear in the back. Without this, it will ride rough.
-The tire carrier can be on or off. I have preferred it off because the 37's are some heavy ass tire and make the carrier wobble unlike it did with 35's.
-I do not have reverse lights installed. The state of VA does not require them and I just haven't gotten around to putting some in the bumpers like I wanted to.
-The brakes WILL lock up on you if you get on them in an accident.
-There are NO airbags in the Jeep. I can include them if you are interested, but I felt safer without them on the trail.
-Full Hydro steering is different on the road than most people are used to. Even though it is a feedback style orbital valve and tends to return to center, it WILL NOT perform like stock steering. The steering wheel WILL DRIFT ever so slightly as you drive long distances and hold the wheel to one side or the other, ie, if your roads have a crown and you need to hold slight pressure to the left to stay straight, the wheel will start to drift to the left even though the Jeep is driving straight and the wheels aren't turning, make sense? It is very common in full hydro set ups and is nothing to worry about. Disconnect the wheel and recenter it and and you're good to go....that's what the quick disconnect is for.
-This Jeep has a tendency to make you feel like you are a bad ass and will try to make you do things you may have not done before....ie, pick up gorgeous women, haul ass on the highway, race ricers between stop lights, try to show up buggies on the trail...so be cautious.

If we do the trade, I will be including a stock electric fan for the electric fan swap project I never started, the rear spring boxes I haven't gotten around to finishing, some spare DOM and rod ends that I was planning to use to build a traction bar, axle tube bellows, a few quarts of Royal Purple Full Synthetic power steering fluid (PSC recommends it for their stuff, I think its like 5 or 6 quarts), a 1 quart overflow reservoir I was going to use to be able to over service the rear end with, the stock rear flares, two spare o-rings for the rear drive flanges, and all the spare ARB parts I've got. I will also include the stock airbags (never been deployed) and the stock steering wheel. The clock-spring was dumped into the trash a while ago and I don't have a spare.

I apologize for not updating the other sites, I didn't really get many serious offers so I never got around to updating. This shouldn't turn into a money pit for you at all unless you let it. She has a tendency to make you want to tinker...that's my problem...I can't stop tinkering.

The title is clean and I have it in hand. It is a North Carolina title if that makes any differences to you. The Jeep SHOULD pass emissions, but I don't know, I've never tried it. We aren't required to pass up here where I live. I don't have any check engine lights and everything is in good working condition. It has a full exhaust, header, mid pipe, CAT, muffler, and it dumps out the rear. It has both O2 sensors.

so sad to see this thing for sale.
it's definitely my favorite jeep ever built.
don't settle for too little!
bump.

Thanks man, I'm trying not to sell it as low as people have been asking lately. Its ridiculous some of the offers ya get! Bump!

i love your rig. if i hadn't already built up my own rig, i'd buy yours in a heartbeat.

i might add that i am ever grateful to you for your definitive tech article on fender trim.

bump for ya.

Last edited:
Nick, i have a Triumph daytona 600 with 4,000 miles on it. oil changes every 1000 miles, take very good care of the bike, unfortunately has some scratches on the side....saved my life though...let me know if interested...how much more would ya like with the bike? let me know. ~Chris

Back