• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 4 cyl xj

The fans come off a 1997-2001 4.0l cherokee. I grabbed a spare rear wiper switch and switch panel and put it in the right side of the dash(my SE stripper model had a blank panel). The switch is connected to ground and activates a shielding relay(so I don't get a p1691 aux-fan code)that I put in a blank location in the pdc which then activates both the stock e-fan relay and the 2nd e-fan relay that is in another blank pdc spot. That relay get's it's power from a fused wire that I ringed to the pdc b+ post. Without the switch on, the fans will still kick on at 217*.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the fans. Do you use a shallow shroud or mount them directly to the radiator? Are these fans capable of running all the time? Do you think there would be a problem running them that way? Lots of questions. Thanks for the answers.

The fans have tabs on the bottom that fit into slots on the 4.0l radiator(I'm using the outer mech fan shroud tab for the 2nd e-fan) and the tops are bolted to the radiator core support:
093bf585aed28f784205bfba2869b8cf.jpg

Last edited:
I based my statement on it taking more horse power to turn the mechanical fan than it takes to turn the alternator to generate the electricity to run the electric fans. I am not sure the term saving horsepower is an accurate way to describe it ,you just redirect it from one area to another ( from fan to wheels or maybe alternator on some of the electric fan setups I have seen) . Why do think it won't free up some HP for some other use? Thanks

It is an old wife's tale about it taking less power to run the electric.

Back