• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 XJ - any issues?

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Due to my wife's van having issues and not wanting to hold on to a vehicle with 250,000 miles, I'm on the hunt for a nice stock Cherokee.

Is there any reason to not look at a 1996 model? I know there are some unique features of this year since it was an "inbetweener" model. I know there fuel pump and sending units are unique to the 1996 year. What else should I watch out for?

I had a 96 for years and loved that jeep. no issues at all.

Couple little odd things, such as you mentioned.
You also get better side impact protection, and sound deadening in the old interior.

I would buy another 96

Great info guys. Thanks!

Sensors under the hood are a little tricky to replace. Some 96's came with pre-96 style sensors, while others came with 97+ style. As long as you know what you have you can order replacements easily. I don't recall ever seeing one that had a mix of both on the same Jeep.....not to say it doesn't exist though.

I had a 96......only issue was the cooling system for me. Had to replace the fuel sending unit O ring, but was easy as the fuel pump is in the front of the tank. HP D30 and 8.25 with a split of 27 and 29 spline. Had 242xxx miles when I sold it. Good running jeep.

Sensors under the hood are a little tricky to replace. Some 96's came with pre-96 style sensors, while others came with 97+ style. As long as you know what you have you can order replacements easily. I don't recall ever seeing one that had a mix of both on the same Jeep.....not to say it doesn't exist though.

My 1996 apparently had a 1996 style CPS with a 1997 CPS connector. It was a dealership only item, but it was not expensive either.

Ed,My 96 has 406,000 on it now.
Replaced the motor(it had No problems but age) at 400,000.
Have been thru 4 fuel pumps,,,,I have extra assembly,s .
Other than that ,only normal maintenance items....

Back