• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1940 Barn Dodge

Wow. Stories like that are always cool...

Yea..my Grandfather had one just like this one...gave it to my Mom's sister...she took it to Michigan about 30 years ago...I asked her to sell it to me back then...she said maybe if I went to visit her for a week or two...I knew that "maybe" really meant probably not. She eventually gave it to one of her kids. That car was in perfect shape back in 1980 (40 years old at the time)...I wonder where it is now...

I have kind of a similar story.......

My Grandfather was a huge car nut. He had a fairly large collection of '60's era Buick Riviera's. He loved those Riv's and had kept his first one he bought new - a '67.

But back in '83, I remember my Dad and I got a call from my Grandfather. He was just so excited that he'd found his "dream car" and couldn't wait for us to come visit and see it. We live in Colorado, he in Nebraska, so unfortunately, it wasn't for many months that we'd finally see the car.

It was a '46 Oldsmobile Series 66 fastback coupe.

As he told the story - October 17th, 1946, he and my Grandmother were just arriving at the Hospital that evening, she was pregnant with my Father and in labor. She remained in labor all that night into the late morning. Friends arrived to visit and sit with her, so my Grandfather decided to get some air and take a walk. Across the street from the Hospital, there was an Oldsmobile dealership. "What the heck - I'll go see what's new" he said.

See, 1946 was the first year most auto manufacturers returned to mass auto production after the war. He told us all about the streamers, posters and balloons all over the dealership lot announcing the "new arrivals".

And then he saw it...... A porcelain gray 2 door fastback Series 66. He knew he had no business buying a 2 door Oldsmobile - only business men or Doctors drove such cars. He was just a farmer and if any kind of money was to be spent on a vehicle - it'd have to be a grain truck or tractor....... But he enjoyed flirting with the idea all the same.

Shortly after he returned from his walk, my Dad was born.

He told us that as the years went buy, he'd see a handful of these Oldsmobiles around, but never did buy one.

He'd later become a Life Insurance Agent - had a very solid business from it and by this time it was 1967 and the Riviera was what struck his fancy.

Now, the phone call we'd received in which my Grandfather was just so excited happend to have been a couple days after my Father's 37th birthday in October 1983. On my Father's birthday, my Grandfather was heading out toward Marysville, KS to meet with a client of his. On the route there, he drove past a gas station and out of the corner of his eye saw an old car for sale. As he tells it - "I nearly ran off the road into a parked car! There it was! A porcelain gray 1946 Oldsmobile Series 66 fastback!"

My Grandfather would continue on to his appointment, but later returned to look at the Olds. It was in amazing shape, but very dirty and in need of a good detailing. He called the phone number on the sign and talked with the owner. The owner was apparently a retired rail road employee. He'd bought the Olds new in '46 in Michigan, but soon took a rail road job in Kansas where they gave him a company truck for all the years he would be employed with them - and so, the Olds sat in his garage as a secondary car for many years racking up around 87K miles then sitting for many years after that in the garage unused.

Now, here's where things get - odd. You see, my Grandfather was very unique to say the least - but where cars were concerned, he had a serious case of Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder. He wanted to buy the Olds, but insisted that he be allowed to get it in driveable condition before he bought it. This included replacing all 4 tires, having the brakes checked, and then a full wash and hand wax....... no, I'm not kidding. My Grandmother has a photo of him leaning against the Olds with a wax pad in hand out in front of the gas station....... She drove out to find him when he was way overdue....

So, on my Father's birthday, my Grandfather saw his dream car....... and 37 years later, he would finally buy it - on my Father's birthday!

As I grew up, I'd alway enjoy visiting my Grandfather and going with him to his row of garages where he kept his collection of Rivieras and the Olds. He had given the Olds the nickname "Old Mary" - no real reason, just seemed fitting he'd say. Old Mary was always my favorite and he would always ask me which of the cars I wanted to take to go get ice cream - it was always 'Mary.

My Grandfather passed away in 1998. A year earlier, he'd asked all the Grandkids if they wanted one of the cars in the collection, if not, he was going to go ahead and sell them off. Obviously I chose the Oldsmobile, but kind of wondered why my Father wasn't supposed to receive it....... My Dad would later tell me that he knew Old Mary meant more to me than it did to him so he'd told my Grandfather to be sure to leave it to me.

This photo was taken about a week after my Grandfather died. We were all out for the funeral and I couldn't believe it when my Grandmother suggested that I should go ahead and take Old Mary home.

Oldmaryandfamily.jpg

I still have Old Mary....... and she's not for sale.

Last edited:
That's an amazing story!! Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to share that, really good stuff...

It's a fact, hmm? Have you been to all 50? ;)

Yeah, I've never been to Alaska either. But that would be an amazing trip, no doubt.

Woot!! Horseshoe Bend, Idaho. thats about an hour away from where I grew up. Fact, Idaho is the greatest State in the country. God I miss that place.
Horseshoe Bend is not far from me. Wish I'd known about that Dodge......
And I have been to 45 states. Idaho is the best in the lower 48.

Woot!! Horseshoe Bend, Idaho. thats about an hour away from where I grew up. Fact, Idaho is the greatest State in the country. God I miss that place.

You are just Jaded because you are stuck in AR.

I am in Idaho everyday and it sucks. Parts are pretty but too much of it isn't and there isn't a state filled with more stupid people.

You are just Jaded because you are stuck in AR.

I am in Idaho everyday and it sucks. Parts are pretty but too much of it isn't and there isn't a state filled with more stupid people.

I lived in Idaho for 18 years and I loved it. I think most of the State is pretty, especially the northern parts. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As far as Idaho having the most stupid people, I think that could be debated. If you go to any of the southeastern states, or California, I think you will find more stupid people.

Was waxing nostalgic today and realized I'd forgotten about this thread.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, I finally got that pic from my grandmother of my grandfather as she found him the day he'd end up buying the Olds.......

GrandpawithOldMary.jpg

And a year or so ago, I had one of our Chapter members that does art and tattoos do this for me... told him to just do what comes to mind from the two photos I'd given him.

100_1580.jpg

Back