• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1911 to 2012,..

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody else notice this?

Marines place $22.5M order for the Colt .45 M1911

It’s been called the greatest handgun ever made, and it has barely changed sine 1911, when the legendary John Browning designed it especially for the U.S. Military.

And now, the Colt .45 M1911 is making a big comeback, now that the U.S. Marines have placed a $22.5 million order for the Connecticut-made pistols,..

..,Colt Defense, based in Hartford, Conn., will supply as many as 12,000 of the 200,000 U.S. Marines with semi-automatic, tan-colored M45 Close Quarter Battle Pistols, and they will include spare parts and logistical support. The gun has long been the weapon of choice for special operations agents, thanks to its reliability and the stopping power of its massive bullets.

Link to story on Foxnews.com

I noticed that the Marines are paying $22.5 million for 12,000 guns. :)

I noticed that the Marines are paying $22.5 million for 12,000 guns. :)

But hey, that's with extra parts and shipping too.....:)

At first glimpse, $22.5 million sounded like a LOT for 12,000 guns. But when you say $1875, I guess that's not THAT bad. :laugh3:

They are also paying for spare repair parts & vendor technical support, so might be closer to $1500 -$1600 a piece.

I paid less than $400 for my smith and Wesson and I havent had a misfire or repair yet... Sounds like they overpaid for the 1911 that's not getting shot on a daily basis.

I paid less than $400 for my smith and Wesson,..
How many barrels did that come with? Military contracts that include "spares" generally include enough parts to completely refurbish the equipment. In the case of a 1911, it would include enough parts to do a depot level service(rebuild) that would include trashing everything but the grip-frame and maybe the slide(depending on condition)

..,and I haven't had a misfire or repair yet...
talk to me when you've got 30K rounds through it. :D

Seriously,..
When I posted this, I was laughing, because I was in the army in the '80s when the military accepted the M-9(Beretta-92) Nobody was really thrilled with the new gun. I was personally offended when I found out what they did with the old 1911 -Torch cut the frames and sold them for scrap. Now, 25 years later, they're buying new guns for the special operations types(The Marines are getting the new "M-45" for their Force Recon units) and the best they can come up with is new manufacture firearms pretty much identical to the old .45. I understand they're even still using the old design mag with the 7rd follower.

Man, that still makes me mad when I think about it,..
We had WW-II era 45s in our arms room that would be damn near priceless on the open market. There was one manufactured by Ithica. Cut up and thrown away,...

How many barrels did that come with? Military contracts that include "spares" generally include enough parts to completely refurbish the equipment. In the case of a 1911, it would include enough parts to do a depot level service(rebuild) that would include trashing everything but the grip-frame and maybe the slide(depending on condition)

I only needed one barrel :)

I'm going to need a secured email address... In over 100 years my kids kids kids might have put 30k rounds thru this gun

Seriously,..
When I posted this, I was laughing, because I was in the army in the '80s when the military accepted the M-9(Beretta-92) Nobody was really thrilled with the new gun. I was personally offended when I found out what they did with the old 1911 -Torch cut the frames and sold them for scrap. Now, 25 years later, they're buying new guns for the special operations types(The Marines are getting the new "M-45" for their Force Recon units) and the best they can come up with is new manufacture firearms pretty much identical to the old .45. I understand they're even still using the old design mag with the 7rd follower.

Man, that still makes me mad when I think about it,..
We had WW-II era 45s in our arms room that would be damn near priceless on the open market. There was one manufactured by Ithica. Cut up and thrown away,...
Every word true, I was there when they made the transition.

I only needed one barrel
talk to me when you've got 30K rounds through it.
I'm going to need a secured email address... In over 100 years my kids kids kids might have put 30k rounds thru this gun
Naw,.. you should be able to do better then that! Get into practical pistol and start shooting competition with a league. Round-count will go up real quick! You should have no problem with 2-3k a year just in practice, and in 10-15 years, you're there! :D You can probably wear out that gun before you wear out your XJ.

All joking aside,.. you can put a lot of lead down range when you're competition shooting and it's fun as h**l. I got about 8k through a Colt 1991 in roughly two and a half seasons between practice and competition. Get a holster, mag pouch, couple spare mags and check out a local range,.. It's a blast! :roll:

Naw,.. you should be able to do better then that! Get into practical pistol and start shooting competition with a league. Round-count will go up real quick! You should have no problem with 2-3k a year just in practice, and in 10-15 years, you're there! :D You can probably wear out that gun before you wear out your XJ.

All joking aside,.. you can put a lot of lead down range when you're competition shooting and it's fun as h**l. I got about 8k through a Colt 1991 in roughly two and a half seasons between practice and competition. Get a holster, mag pouch, couple spare mags and check out a local range,.. It's a blast! :roll:

I couldn't do 3k a year... Ammo is expensive for my .40 or at least It is for me!

Actually, I find this price a very good deal.

What makes product expensive is the tests. Commercial companies are able to bring out a product faster and for a lot less money, just because they dont test.

When you go into a contract with the Government, you must not only show the analysis that supports your claims about functionality, but also you need to prove it.

To do this, you perform various rigorous tests to ensure that each and every gun would continue working under all the conditions that it is going to be used. That takes time and equipment.

It is good that the Government does not buy stuff based on what the cheesy salesman said. I wouldn't want products like that in the hands of our soldiers.

Best

Boris

Yeah, that's true. I was thinking that about half the price of one of those guns is in the paperwork, but I don't have anything to back that up.

Maxx: I used to think ammo was expensive.
Now I have this: http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23803/catid/1/XL_650
exclusively for .45
And this: http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23594/catid/1/RL_550B
for everything else.
I still think it's expensive, but that cuts the bill by about 80%.

Best 2 grand I ever spent(counting all the extras). I think I saved enough to pay for it all before I quit competition shooting.

Even if you don't feel like getting into it heavy, attend a practical pistol match. They're fun. Entry fee is usually 35-45 bucks, ammo requirement is usually less then a hundred rounds.

Back