• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97-01 front clip swap

Oil Town XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished swapping a 99 front clip on my 94 and now I need some ideas on paint... I plan on keeping white for now, but I want to know should I add my old trim to the new fenders or remove the trim from the jeep. I will also be cutting my fenders and adding 4 rear tj flares I plan on painting the flares silver to match the bumper... I guess I'm just looking for ideas to make the jeep look a little different, here are the before and after pictures
IMG_0005.jpg

dsc03192b.jpg

dsc03194f.jpg

my vote:
Loose the trim on the doors.

also: I think the "late" XJs with look better with the color matched grill.

I recently did this swap and opted to do the extra work and paint the headlight bezels and grille, looks much better IMO. (also lost the Jeep emblem) I would also vote to lose the trim, mine had the trim with red pin stripe, which has all been removed and re-painted black to match now. Other than that looks great and good job.

0416091649.jpg

0418091154.jpg

0524090723.jpg

what are you spending on parts to do the upgrade/swap. Ive been interested in doing it myself but think it might cost me too much. Also are you using new parts or take offs. They both look real good

I got the front clip off a rolled Cherokee for 40 bucks. Needed some work on the top of it, only about an hour to grind, sand, fill and smooth.. Found two used fenders off a local site for 70 bucks. They wanted 90 a piece aftermarket. Then 25 for a quart of paint, I had everything else. Piece of cake. I did it all in one day including painting it all.

are fenders necessary?

I have seen people make it work together using the old fenders, The newer style fenders have a curve on them, the older style have two body lines. So the new style grille doesnt really line up with the old style fenders.
Example: See how the grille body line does not match the fender? It looks worse standing from towards the rear of the vehicle, where the header panel rounds from top to the side it actually sticks out and you can see the back side of the header panel. So it can be done.

dscf0057medium.jpg

Last edited:
I have a quick question about this swap. Would it be possible at all to swap the tailgate and taillights to the newer style as well? Kinda looks weird to have a new style rounded front end with the old square style back end.

Back