• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Weather = Bad News

MELKORsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok... so we all know there are bad storms that have gone through, and are going through the southeast right now... being slow at work today, i asked if i could go home early...

i got home, and it was already raining and really windy, so i decided i would add a few extra bungee's and straps to the tarp that's covering my Willys... as i'm having difficulties with a ratchet strap in the wind, i hear a really LOUD cracking noise, and look up. The HUGE oak? tree that my jeep is parked next to was splitting about 20 feet up, and the whole top of it was coming down!!! with me and the jeep under it... so i ran back a good ways, and turned around to see the top of the tree fall moving sideways with the wind... the whole time this is happening, i'm yelling "NO! NO! NO!" because my jeep is right there!!! after the tree is down, i quickly went over to the jeep to check on it... nothing was laying on the jeep, but there was a Huge section of the trunk atleast a foot in diameter that had landed on the hood of the jeep, and bounced off and onto the ground! i felt the tarp along the hood of the jeep... and it wasn't good... it was crushed!!! then i ran inside to tell my dad... he was like WHAT?!?! your cherokee? i said no, i don't care about that one, the WILLYS!!! so as we were going out to look at it, we heard another crack amonst the wind... a pine in the woods behind the house was coming down... and headed towards our newly aquired Tow Rig!!! i was like, great... another vehicle down. So like i normally would, i grabbed the camera, and took some pics... in the rain of course. Then i decided to look at the jeep... i untarped it... not pretty!!!

l_3a54ea616b8448fa8b006be2bebb89ee.jpg

l_3f009f7a7a944feeaa860c5fe148bf6e.jpg

l_2c139d654ed648ab8f7f25c0d5d98768.jpg

l_52df866379084e6fa3e577f3a08b919b.jpg

l_0c2432b7bd754bb1b37d36abcc321195.jpg

l_53fea11e5b124be9adb1715c2e3fa5e7.jpg

i'm a little frustrated right now to say the least...

the Tow rig did alright, just a slight dent in the corner of the hood... the willys hood... not so fortunate!
i did feel up under the hood, and i don't think it hurt the engine, maybe the air filter, and possibly the TBI... but i'm glad i decided to make a radiator hoop, because that saved a lot of it; infact, the grill is folded backwards over the radiator hoop!!!

...so now all i can do is think of how to fix it myself, or if my parent's home owner's insurance will cover it. i know Willys parts aren't cheap!!! and not to mention the modifications we did to make them work...

oh well... i'm not hurt and that's most important

Last edited:
Thanks guys!!! i guess that's a positive thing i can look at :) and my mom looks at it as, not having to pay to have that tree cut down...

just got done with a few parts searches...

NEW:
hood - $400
grill - $315
windshield frame - $500 (don't think this got damaged...)
fender - $300ea. (but mine are custom tube fenders)

What about using 2b parts?

Glad it was not you.. Just heard on the TV that 2 are dead in Murfeesboro. Hope all is good for everyone.

What about using 2b parts?

Matt, it is a 2B, and if you meant to say 2A parts, well, the parts that got damaged are the parts that differ and are not interchangeable... It sucks too cause he just waxed it all last night. So, looks like Dan has got to spend $750 on a hood and grille... Damn, there goes the trailer funds. :cry: :banghead:

2a is what I meant. I already told dan that he is welcome to the parts off my willys if it would help.

weather has cleared up... all nice and sunny out. so i figured i'd go see what happend under the hood...

l_6f6370c24207448cbfed1db69dec32e6.jpg

l_a2d14a0de78d421b92a1defb2e3c82da.jpg

l_7ea50152098943bfad4b269e22114d08.jpg

l_d0baa6b19e2c469e9ddce7ace2c72302.jpg

l_086bcfab34904129975f5adfb0ac060a.jpg

so... again, i'm glad there was a radiator hoop! i think it would have been much worse had it not been there. Nothing under the hood was touched! everything looks good, just a scratch on the hoop...

i feel much better now :)

l_c31f0a32f0e44223a2c92e932c62ec66.jpg

The truck didn't do too bad... just minor dents in the hood.

I'm glad you're ok!!!!

It's a good thing it didn't get to the engine. I know you're put out with it but it's fixable. I have faith in the abilities!!!!!

I know you're put out with it but it's fixable. I have faith in the abilities!!!!!

...it is fixable yes, but those are basically the only remaining "origional" pieces... everything else has either been modified, or replaced already...

but it'll all be good in the end...

at least you weren't hurt.

thanks man...

...and to think, the hood was the last unmodified origional part of the jeep remaining...

hows the new towrig workin out?

...it's just been chillin' in the back yard for a couple weeks waitin' on some maintenance stuff and a brake hardline to be replaced... but now it has a pine tree for company back there :clap:

glad you are okay.

I wish you luck with the insurance, but they usually don't cover "acts of God". At least you had the hoop and it didn't get to the engine.

holy crap man! glad you are all right! mentally and physically!

Back