• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My dealings with Rusty's Offroad

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
Several years ago when I decided to raise the jeep, I was looking for a deal on some adjustable control arms. I found a steal on Ebay. They were Rusty's Offroad CA's Uppers and Lowers, both adjustable. The price was right so I snagged them. I've ran them up until recently without any trouble. When I did have trouble, here's what I found:

100_5984.jpg

100_5988.jpg

No good.

I was asked if I'd contaced Rusty's. No, I hadn't, I didn't even buy them from him. In my opinion he has no obligation to me at all.
I work at a headlamp factory (OEM stuff) and I kinda enjoy seeing how our products hold up in the field. I thought Rusty may apperciate the same. So, I sent him (Rusty) an email with pictures. I explained that I purchased the CA's off of eBay, that they were new in the original packaging and that I was the first to install them. I told him how long I've ran them and it was on my DD that was wheeled whenever I could afford it. I further explained that I like to see how the products that leave my factory hold up in the field and thought that he may apperciate the same information. I stated that I wasn't sending the email to bitch, moan or complain......just information that I thought he may find useful.

The next morning, my phone rang. It was Rusty. He said that my arms were pretty old and several designs ago. He offered to repair the arms and if I would send him the arms, he would replace the frame end with their new forged flex joints.....AT NO CHARGE TO ME! All I needed to do was get the arms to him. I sent them to Rusty on the 19th and I recieved my freshly repaired arms today. That's really a pretty quick turn around.

I know Rusty gets alot of bad press here on NAXJA sometimes. I just wanted to share this story for others to see he's not all bad. I just talked to the man himslef and he took great care of me, and I apperciate it. He could have not responed to me at all and put it in file 13 but, he didn't. I didn't even buy the arms from him! However, I have bought several other things in the past from him. This is the first time I've ever had any trouble with his products. So, if you have issues, be civil, and provide the facts, and he'll treat you right.....at least he did me. If you do have trouble with something, ask to speak to the man himself.

Please don't turn this into your own personal rant, that's not my intent. I just wanted to share my dealings with Rusty. Being as I see alot of negative threads on Rusty's I thought it was time he got some positive press.

One of the freshly repaired arms:

100_6037.jpg

Hale

wow that is too cool!

I think that is customer service at its best - those flex joints look beef as well! When is Rusty going to become a vendor? hasta

Alot of people say they don't like his products, but for customer service like that, to me that makes the product. And if it really was a bad product, the man himself wouldn't stand behind it.

If that service were consistant, I'd be A+ on Rusty's. It seems like his service goes with his mood, sometimes he bends over backwards and gives you the world, sometimes you get the finger.

That arm does look pretty good though.

If that service were consistant, I'd be A+ on Rusty's. It seems like his service goes with his mood, sometimes he bends over backwards and gives you the world, sometimes you get the finger.

That arm does look pretty good though.

^This.

i own quite a bit of rusty's stuff and dont have a problem with. its good to hear some positive feed back abou them. it brings my confidence back up with there stuff.

I ordered tow hooks from him with brackets. When I got them, I had brackets but no hooks. So I called him up and same deal, he express-mailed it to me, two day shipping and sent me the hooks, no questions asked. I ordered my front end skid online and it arrived fairly quickly. I haven't installed it yet as I'm still fiddling with steering, but I've had no bad experiences with the couple things I've ordered from him.

Nothing but good stuff to say about Rustys...good experiences always. Hell sometimes I call em up just to hear their accents ...eheheh...me being a NW Coast yankee and all.:party:

Eh, Rusty will always be around. If for nothing alse than the promotion of our hobby. I've ordered a few parts from him in the past and never had an issue. I always recieved the item in a timely manner. Like everywhere else, you have to know what you're ordering. There's always somebody that makes a particular part better than somebody else.

Right on Hale! Good to hear he treated you good!

I have a rusty's skid that i bought off of Bloose and its BEEFY!

wow that is too cool!

I think that is customer service at its best - those flex joints look beef as well! When is Rusty going to become a vendor? hasta

Rusty was one of the oldest sponsors to NAXJA before most other company's had anything for an xj. Rusty is a decent guy I have meet him more then once at the Crawl and like anyone else has good days and bad. Glad to see someone giving credit where credit is due. Kudo's to you Hayles even though you are in the Midwest. :gag:

My Jeep has a Rusty's gas tank skid that does real well. Just wondering though, did Rusty know who you are, Mr. NAXJA MWC President? lol....
dn

I would like to know that too. I have loved everything I have ever bought from Rusty's (broke on of his track bars but it was my fault running a 3" track bar on a 6" lift). I plan on buying a tank skid from him next time they are on sale. would be nice to see Rustys as a vender again tho

I'm running Rusty's 4.5" lift kit, adjustable track bar, upper and lower control arms, also t-case and engine/transmission skid plates. I've had nothing but great service from Rusty. Almost forgot, I'm also using a 2.5" cat back exhaust kit I bought from him. All that stuff has well over 100,000 miles on it. No worries so far.

My Jeep has a Rusty's gas tank skid that does real well. Just wondering though, did Rusty know who you are, Mr. NAXJA MWC President? lol....
dn

:dunno:

I've ordered stuff before and he's answered the phone and took my order. I've also sent emails in the past asking for Winterfest raffle items (which we did recieve). That's the only dealings I've had with him.
I don't see the relevance to the question but, there's your answer.:wave1:

:dunno:

I've ordered stuff before and he's answered the phone and took my order. I've also sent emails in the past asking for Winterfest raffle items (which we did recieve). That's the only dealings I've had with him.
I don't see the relevance to the question but, there's your answer.:wave1:

If I would have asked that question, you would have gone on for a good page defending yourself-LOL!

I think Rusty's did you nicely.
Your dealing with them in connection with WF may, or may not have had anything to do with your treatment <shrug>, but it is good business to keep your special customers happy.

I've never had poor service from them. I don't tend to call them, I order via the internet. The one time I did have a comment on the product (a dropped X member I bent), he asked for photos, then I never heard from him again. I figured he just got busy with something else, and since I wasn't an angry customer, I went to the bottom of the stack. Last year, I ordered springs all around for the XJ. They showed up 2 days later and work just fine, which is typical for my dealings with that company.

Last edited:
Back