• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detours Tailbone Install

lonecountryboy

NAXJA Forum User
Well got my tailbone system from Detours, first impressions are that it is an extremely well manufactured kit. I did not get any instructions with the kit so I called Detours and he said he was way behind and wanted to get these out there so we could prep them and paint them, he said the instructions would be mailed out this week. I being the impatient SOB that I am decided to install it anyway. WOW anybody with an IQ above a potato can install this kit. It was pretty self explanatory, just pay attention to where the nuts and bolts go and it will bolt right on. It probably took me about an hour and half to put it together and about 15 to 20 min of that was trying to straighten out some bent sheet metal to make the brackets fit better. Very easy install and looks good. The only con I can see is maybe the latch for the swingout but after I do some tweeking on it it should be fine. Mark at Detours is extremely helpful and his service is excellent, so if anybody wants a reasonably priced tire carrier this is the way to go. Sorry don't have any pics yet but maybe eventually I will get around to it. So with just some basic hand tools a drill and a jigsaw I was able to perform this install w/out any instructions. I will of course wait for the instructions to get the torque specs for all the bolts but that won't take me any time at all to retorque everything. So thanks to Mark at Detours for making this very afforadable kit and his time on the phone. :cheers:

this is my favorite design of tire carrier. I will be copying the overall design when I build my tire carrier, with a couple mild changes. I almost bought an oem one off a guy here but I then read that they squeak and rattle like a mofo so I decided to just build what I want, being that my best 4x4 buddies have a fab shop at their disposal.

We need pics!!

this guys being a tease (didnt sound right but w/e)
we want to see it . . . . NOW!!!! hahahaha
thread is worthless hahaha
:D

got a camera phone? if so plz take a pic and sent it to my phone. I was going to buy this last night so I def want to see how it turned out. 805-550-9983 thanks

-nick

this is my favorite design of tire carrier. I will be copying the overall design when I build my tire carrier, with a couple mild changes. I almost bought an oem one off a guy here but I then read that they squeak and rattle like a mofo so I decided to just build what I want, being that my best 4x4 buddies have a fab shop at their disposal.
i have one i got off a freind on here, they only squeak when they are loose, mines tight and doesnt sqeuak at all. its on there solid.....but i do love the backbone and tailbone, i will get them next year.:clap:

Last edited:
Back