• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Power Distribution Fuses

13bullets

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ

In the engine compartment, 3rd one from the front, passenger side, what's it for?

It's drawing my battery down. The fuse (mine anyhow) is a 20A, but the cover says it should be a 40A. The owners manual doesn't address what it is, and I don't have a haynes/chiltons manual YET.

The FSM's Ive seen say that fuse is for the ignition. I've seen the 97 and 99 FSM's, can't find one for a 98. But my jeep will crank with that fuse pulled, that sort of makes me think it's not for my ignition. According to the layout in the FSM it's Fuse 3. I can't find anything that doesn't work with it pulled. I bought the haynes manual and it doesn't address what each power distribution fuse is.

Last edited:
The diagram and fusbox posted there is exactly what I've found. It says fuse 3 is for the ignition, but even if it is, I can't figure out what it does. The jeep still cranks and everything appears to work. I don't get it.

Ignition means spark. Starter circuit is different. It will still crank with the ignition circuit disabled. Your Jeep should be most like the '97 manual. Did you notice in McQue's link that the third fues up on the left is actually fuse #4. It's confusing (con / fuse / ing) Hahaha. They have so many numbers for each fuse, but it seems like the one in the middle on the fuse is the one that counts. There is no fuse #1 showing. The box shown in the link above has the 3rd fuse being #4 feeding the distribution box which is the fuse box in the cabin.

circuit schematic says it feeds thru the ignition switch to fused circuits in the junction block...that connect to
rear window defogger relay, rear wiper switch, abs relay, hvac unit, combination flasher...probably other circuits that I have missed...

Wait a minute. I see what you're saying. The diagram above says ignition SWITCH for the third fuse up on the left. Many other things are done by the ignition SWITCH than just spark. But the third fuse is #4.

Ok I see that now, slot #3, fuse #4. I pulled ALL the fuses in my passenger kick panel, and still had amp draw. I pulled Fuse 4, which in my jeep is only a 20A fuse, and the current went away.

Last edited:
Ok, so on my diagram the #4 fuse on the Power Distribution Center (PDC or under hood fuse box) feeds the A7 circuit to the Junction Block (in cabin fuse box). If you go to the wiring section for the Junction block, you can see which fuses the A7 circuit feeds. On mine, it feeds Fuse #1 and #2, for the cigarette lighter and aux power socket. A7 also feeds Fuse #15 for the pass side power window switch, and Fuse #20 for the trailer tow. Also circuit breaker #29 for power and heated seats.

Hopefully you can see on your wiring diagram the same. Year could be different, but hopefully you can see how you trace the diagram. Took me a long time to get used to it, too.

What is hard to see though is that you pulled all the fuses in the Junction block and still had current draw. Did you also pull circuit breakers? A circuit braker is just a fuse that resets itself. If you pulled fuses 1,2,15,20, and circuit breaker 29, you should have no current draw when you replace 3 in the PDC. If you did, you would have to have a short between the PDC and the Junction Block.

I didn't pull or turn off any circuit breakers. I just pulled every fuse in groups of 5 til they were all out and still had amp draw. I don't have heated or power seats so I wouldn't think it'd be that circuit breaker though. I'm on my way out to the garage now to look some more. Thanks for all the help ya'll.

Back