• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Output Alternator 160A 99-01 made easy

TRU350Z

NAXJA Forum User
I work for a retail parts store and pretty savvy with the catalogs. After some research I found a higher output alternator that will work in 99-01 XJ. Worldwide PN 12329. This is made to fit a 03ish Durango with a 5.9L. The Denso plug is the same and the mounting pattern fits just barely inside the factory alternator bracket. I had to do minimal modifications with a file to the bracket and bore the charge post on the Durango alternator is slightly larger so the wire will have to be upgraded to allow more current. I did this mod in the rain today because it was my only day off. If anyone wants more info please email me.

[email protected]
:yelclap:

I work for a retail parts store and pretty savvy with the catalogs. After some research I found a higher output alternator that will work in 99-01 XJ. Worldwide PN 12329. This is made to fit a 03ish Durango with a 5.9L. The Denso plug is the same and the mounting pattern fits just barely inside the factory alternator bracket. I had to do minimal modifications with a file to the bracket and bore the charge post on the Durango alternator is slightly larger so the wire will have to be upgraded to allow more current. I did this mod in the rain today because it was my only day off. If anyone wants more info please email me.

[email protected]
:yelclap:

Great Job,
Many here (Including myself) would like you to post a detailed (Including as many photos as possible) Post showing all the steps necessary to perform the mod.

There is nothing to it. Its a direct fit pretty much... Once you got the new 12329 fitted onto the bracket its all cake. I recommend you remove the bracket and alternator. You have to reuse your old pulley. I tested the output with the ARBST tester and output before the mod was 91 AMPS at 2000 rpm. After the mod it was 154 AMPS at 2000rpm. Please note that the output of this alternator since it is externally regulated by the computer is only going to charge to this capacity when it sees a load based on the battery temperature sensor located underneath the battery tray.

The only thing I can think of that should be changed - so far - is that you should modify the alternator bracket instead of the mount for the thing. Why? because if you're in a hurry, have a blown alternator, and need to install a spare (which happens to be OEM,) you won't have any trouble.

And, I think the later versions use an 8-rib belt - which means an 8-rib pully. You can use a 6-rib belt on an 8-rib pully without any trouble - meaning you may not need to swap the pully.

Oh - and the voltage regulator controls current output by monitoring system voltage (sounds roundabout, but it works. Voltage and current are mathematically related in a closed circuit. cf. Ohm's Law and Watt's Law.) The battery temperature sensor is mainly there to detect if the battery is being overcharged, or if it's too hot to take a proper charge. Thus, the battery temperature sensor is much like the knock sensor on RENIX - you only pay attention to it when there's a problem (the knock sensor on RENIX is "along for the ride" most of the time, and only generates a signal when there is spark knock, detonation, or preignition.)

I know my 97 only has a 90 amp one. I would think, that when they went to the new intake, distributorless ignition, and other 99+ changes they mandated 120 amp or whatever alternators as well. I was looking around and they seem to be grouped in 91-98 and 99-01. Just a guess?

What about anything else for a pre 99? Like a 95 with OBD1...

I've had a hell of a time finding the 136 amp alternator on 98 Grand Cherokee's that will work from what I have heard! Although this should be the same alternator as the Durango. But I know the plugs are different for 96 or 97+ for the alternators compared to 95 and below....still being externally regulated, not RENIX......

I'm about "gosh darn" tired of my 90 amp AutoZone alternator.

What about anything else for a pre 99? Like a 95 with OBD1...

I've had a hell of a time finding the 136 amp alternator on 98 Grand Cherokee's that will work from what I have heard! Although this should be the same alternator as the Durango. But I know the plugs are different for 96 or 97+ for the alternators compared to 95 and below....still being externally regulated, not RENIX......

I'm about "gosh darn" tired of my 90 amp AutoZone alternator.

i did the 136 amp alt in my 95 xj. works like a champ. i went with a reman unit from NAPA as i was strapped for cash and my stock amp had thrown a bearing. i figured why just replace when i can upgrade. all that was required was a small amount of clearancing the stock bracket (and it will still remain backwards compatable- if you had to you could run a stock alt). the aluminium of the bracket was too soft to get at with a grinding drum on my dremel. it would be lots easier with a die grinder and one of those toothed drums (having a total brain fart at the moment). most of the material to come off is the casting lines and then just a bit for the body of the zj alt.

i know they can be hard to find at a junkyard, and i dont really trust a jy alt, so that made ponying up for a reman alt a little easier.

What year did you get one from? Originally I heard any year ZJ (96 and below too) with the 5.2 V8 had a 136 amp. But that appears to be not so true, as the 96 and below ZJ's with the 5.2 apparently have 120 amp alternators top but more frequently just 90 amp's (just like XJ's!)

What I was reading said 98 Grand Cherokee.....does the motor size matter though? I am unsure about all of that. Will any other years work that had 136 amp alternators?

I recently popped in a junkyard 135 amp Police Interceptor alternator into my 01 Grand Marquis and it works just fine. Although I am keeping my stock civilian alternator around "just incase". Although it isn't a direct swap as the PI voltage regulator plugs are different than the civilian voltage regulator plugs. Wire colors are the same though.

But we're talking about XJ's here, these are apples and oranges....I was just pointing out that some junkyard alternators aren't all that bad, although your stock alternator is a good replacement part. Just as many carry spare crank sensors, etc.....leave an alternator in the garage for those desperate times.

the one i got was listed for a 97 ZJ 5.2L V8.

i think by now my rig has more ZJ parts on it than XJ parts

I was going to double post my alternator swap but I will just cross link because it was as easy as you said...thanks all.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244416019#post244416019

stewie
What other ZJ parts have you swapped?

those pics are a good representation of what needs to be done to fit it but like you mentioned it MAY have a little much on the trimming, but hasnt had any issues yet.

and on a side note to answer the question, i have installed the following zj parts on my xj: alternator, rear disk brakes, prop valve, cruise control swich, tow hooks (just the hook not the bracket), some interior trim screws, shifter handle, tie rod, pitman arm. there could be more but thats all i can think of at the moment.

Good info.

Trying to do this to my 00' now. I originally had the 80 amp Nippondenso. I would like to know where you shaved the alternator bracket. There are two brackets that need to be addressed on my model.

The black bracket that installs over the timing cover studs and then the actual bracket that bolts to the side of the block.

I needed to shave some metal off the bottom of the black bracket and now need to know where to take more metal from so that the bottom alternator bolt lines up. Currently it is hitting where the timing cover studs thread.

Should I take off the bracket that bolts to the motor? I'm not sure how to take it off, dont want to mess up the timing cover seal and it seems I have to take out the studs to get the mount off.

Back