• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is wrong with this waterpump?

XJJack

NAXJA Forum User
Is this just corrosion? Or do I have somthing bouncing around in my Hesco built 4.6? This is there pump too. I put this on and have run it for 2 years now, then stated to get some leaking at the top of the pump gasket, pull it off to change and find this.
waterpump0031.jpg

I probed around in the water galley but did not find anything.

What is that on there, sludge? Clean that thing off and show a picture of the actual fins(blades) of the pump.
Any play on the pump shaft?

No, that is supossed to be a flat surface. That is the inside of a a high flow Hesco waterpump the blades are in the inside, the marks you see are pits, and I'm thinking it is from a bolt inside...

problem with the coolant you are using corroding the aluminum blades of that hi flow pump?

isn't there a certain coolant you have to use with those pumps, as the blades will do just as your seeing from the aluminum being eatin away?

Here is another picture from the side, hard to beleive that hard water could do this.
waterpump22.jpg

I know I have not cleaned the gasket surface yet, but if I need to replace I can skip that.

BTW the inside of the water galley looks fine and there is now scaring on the first water jacket.

No, that is supossed to be a flat surface. That is the inside of a a high flow Hesco waterpump the blades are in the inside, the marks you see are pits, and I'm thinking it is from a bolt inside...

Yes I know, I'm running the same pump.

Here is another picture from the side, hard to beleive that hard water could do this.
waterpump22.jpg

I know I have not cleaned the gasket surface yet, but if I need to replace I can skip that.

BTW the inside of the water galley looks fine and there is now scaring on the first water jacket.

Wow, you've got issues.
With the pump bolted down do you feel any resistance like it's bottomed against something?
You are using coolant and not tap water, right?!

The engine pocket look fine, normal light coat of scale no marks at all. No particals in the water. Yes, I am using a mix of tap water and prestone green coolant. There was no mention from Hesco that I would need to run any special coolant. I also have the Aluminum head and have seen nothing wrong there.Here is a pic of inside the block.
waterpump33.jpg

Last edited:
Do not use tap water, ever.
If you're going to use mix you have to use distilled water only.
I'm not saying that tap water caused that corrosion but over time it will certainly cause a similar situation.
You should flush your whole cooling system, put new coolant in it, and run it.

Did the coolant that drained out look abnormally dirty?

I have heard people talk about not using tap water, but I have done it for 20 years without problems in the past. If one was to do this now, how would I get all the old water out of the block?

Looks like it was rubbing the back of the block a bit, see on the bottom there is kind of a flat surface?

I think I heard something like this before, people having to use 2 gaskets to space the different style blades further away from the block.

Do not use tap water, ever.
If you're going to use mix you have to use distilled water only.
I'm not saying that tap water caused that corrosion but over time it will certainly cause a similar situation.
You should flush your whole cooling system, put new coolant in it, and run it.

Did the coolant that drained out look abnormally dirty?

No, water was clear nice green with no particals or clouds. I do flush and change every few months, but never thought that it was really nessisary to use distilled water.

Looks like it was rubbing the back of the block a bit, see on the bottom there is kind of a flat surface?

I think I heard something like this before, people having to use 2 gaskets to space the different style blades further away from the block.

That flat surface was there before I put in in. There is also a machened flat surface at the top. This is part of the factory block clean up after casting. The pump has always spun freely after mounting.
The scale in the block area is on all blocks, and comes from the sand that they cast it from.

Now you got me worried. I have less than 400 miles on my new engine(with the Hesco pump) and the coolant is looking really dirty.

No, water was clear nice green with no particals or clouds. I do flush and change every few months, but never thought that it was really nessisary to use distilled water.

Doesn't matter. It's the minerals dissoved in the water that leads to corrosion, you can't see it by looking at it.

Looks like electrolosis or corrosion damage. Make sure the ground to the block and to the head are good.

I have seen similar damage caused by a small leak from the exhaust to the water jacket. Over time the hydrocarbons and sulphur react with the coolant and cause it to go acidic. When put it back together, run it for a few days and have a mechanic use a tailpipe sniffer to sniff the radiator for hydrocarbons.

So would it be fine to put this one back in and fill with distled water? Should I use the red coolant?
Should I just buy a new regular waterpump?

Looks like electrolosis or corrosion damage. Make sure the ground to the block and to the head are good.

I have seen similar damage caused by a small leak from the exhaust to the water jacket. Over time the hydrocarbons and sulphur react with the coolant and cause it to go acidic. When put it back together, run it for a few days and have a mechanic use a tailpipe sniffer to sniff the radiator for hydrocarbons.

I do not have the ground on the head, as that is only to ground the body. I have a good ground on the block as the starter works fine and a seporate ground to the body for everything else.

I've heard different things on the distilled water. On my own XJ I buy premixed Prestone. Probably a waste but it's just easier to not have to mix :)

On my grandmother's car I just used tap (city water) and prestone coolant to mix.

My friends all use tap.

I've heard you're probably ok using tap....although in water that has alot more minerals like well water you wouldn't want to use that and would be better off with distilled unless you also had tap available.

Back