• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need a transfer case asap

besthaticouldo

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone want to go to a junkyard next weekend? preferably in san diego or somewhere in orange county?

i need to get a 242 or 231 transfer case. my 249 is starting to go and i just cant have that happen

is anyone willing to go with me to pick one up or does anyone have a 242 or 231 laying around that i could buy please?

You have to make sure its the right vintage Tcase, they don't just bolt in. You gotta take them apart and swap a bunch of crap. Its been years, and I don't really remember.

I have a 231, have no idea what year it is out of, was said to be working when I bought it, has been sitting in shed, I paid 100 bucks for it, 75 for you..I dont know the spline count, etc

just read through that....wtf?
who the hell swaps a transfer case BAREFOOT. or does anything at all to a jeep without shoes on. i could wear a bear attack suit and somehow still wound myself.

I work barefoot, the toes come in handy almost like an extra set of hands.

lol, solitude is awesome. Its actually a pretty good writeup though.

I have one, but its a newer spline count so it wont work...

Why do you think yours is going out?

Its a Grand Cherokee thing..... You wouldn't understand.

lol, it happens. Sometimes mine doesnt chirp, sometimes it binds...

but then again I am lifted on 33's.

I am eventually going to swap in my 242, but I never seem to have enough time, or the gumption to do it myself, haha

It's beacuse it's a full time t-case. You can buy just the coupler off Ebay and change just that. But you are better off with a 231, the more support for them.

My Durnago has the 242 with the lo lock.

Back