NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:32
NAXJA Forum User

battery relocation?? pics??

im lookin ginto relocating my battery and also maybe doing a dual battery kit a well....the only thing is i dont know where a good spot would be to relocate it too....anyone have suggestions or pics??
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:41
NAXJA Forum User

Re: battery relocation?? pics??

Depends on where you want to mount the battery. If you want it in the cargo area, secure it properly wherever you like and run your cables. If you want it under the hood, there are kits available where you basically take out your stock airbox and install an aftermarket intake designed for this purpose. The new battery installs where the factory airbox used to sit. Do a google search for them.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr1717 View Post
Depends on where you want to mount the battery. If you want it in the cargo area, secure it properly wherever you like and run your cables. If you want it under the hood, there are kits available where you basically take out your stock airbox and install an aftermarket intake designed for this purpose. The new battery installs where the factory airbox used to sit. Do a google search for them.
Diesel XJs supposedly had an OEM battery tray for that location. Who makes a kit?
Billy
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:50
www.Detoursusa.com

Wanting to lighten-up the nose of my XJ, I relocated mine to the rear passenger side,
ran welding cable back, placed it in a plastic tool box bolted thru the floor, strapped
in and closed, just looked like a tool box.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 15:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak21 View Post
Diesel XJs supposedly had an OEM battery tray for that location. Who makes a kit?
Billy
There's others out there, but this was the one that came to mind...

Mean Green MGBT02
Old October 2nd, 2008, 15:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detour View Post
Wanting to lighten-up the nose of my XJ, I relocated mine to the rear passenger side,
ran welding cable back, placed it in a plastic tool box bolted thru the floor, strapped
in and closed, just looked like a tool box.

sick, i like that alot
Old October 2nd, 2008, 16:21
NAXJA Forum User

In a rollover it looks like that box wouldn't stay where it is and the battery would flop around inside. I suappose a ratchet strap around the box and cage could fix the box from moving around though.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 16:33
NAXJA Forum User

Don't batteries emit fumes, and need to be vented? Or can you just mount in the cargo area without proper venting?
Old October 2nd, 2008, 16:52
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_jet View Post
Don't batteries emit fumes, and need to be vented? Or can you just mount in the cargo area without proper venting?
Thats what I seem to recall hearing as well. If Im not mistaken 5-90 went off about Optimas and how they were supposedly closed, but arnt.

I couldnt find the post either, so its all hearsay.

I was trying to figure out how I could mount my battery farther forward and up a little bit higher so I can cut some inner fender out, but I dont think thats possible without going to a smaller battery.

So whats the advantage to having a larger battery? The "standard" seems to be a yellow or red Optima, but does one really need that?
Sure if your winching a bunch, or run a ton of lights you might need a larger battery. But if one were to get a smaller battery, wouldnt the alternator just work more?

I know Capt. Ron has a small battery in his buggy (motorcycle?). Does anyone else run a small battery with good results?
Who are you and why should we care?
Old October 2nd, 2008, 18:07
NAXJA Forum User

I know from experience that Optimas and Orbitals outgas if they are overcharged. I don't think they do under normal circumstances though. Might be something to ask the mfg abt.

A car battery can produce 1000 amps for brief periods of time, like cranking or winching. Alternators put out somewhere between 50 and 150 depending on how beefy it is. Having a big battery is also handy for repeated starts without time to recharge, and running lights and radios and stuff. Racers like small batteries because they are light. There's no reason to run a smaller battery in a Jeep IMO. Bigger, sure.

Last edited by n1ywb; October 2nd, 2008 at 18:11.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 18:15
NAXJA Forum User

i have mine in the passenger floor board, but i had removed the air conditioner so there is "right now" a big hole in the firewall. i havent gotten straped down yet, but ima go buy a battery box at autozone and put it there, then it will be good to go, im running a red top.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 18:40
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ywb View Post
I know from experience that Optimas and Orbitals outgas if they are overcharged. I don't think they do under normal circumstances though. Might be something to ask the mfg abt.

A car battery can produce 1000 amps for brief periods of time, like cranking or winching. Alternators put out somewhere between 50 and 150 depending on how beefy it is. Having a big battery is also handy for repeated starts without time to recharge, and running lights and radios and stuff. Racers like small batteries because they are light. There's no reason to run a smaller battery in a Jeep IMO. Bigger, sure.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge then I can chime in on the battery and gas stuff, but I could have sworn someone talked with Optima and they said that putting a battery in the cargo compartment without a vent is a bad idea.

Reasons that I can think of for a lighter battery are weight and space savings. Sure it might be a bit extreme, but I know I could use the space under the hood for other things.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 19:20
Headbanging Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
Hopefully someone with more knowledge then I can chime in on the battery and gas stuff, but I could have sworn someone talked with Optima and they said that putting a battery in the cargo compartment without a vent is a bad idea.

Reasons that I can think of for a lighter battery are weight and space savings. Sure it might be a bit extreme, but I know I could use the space under the hood for other things.
I do believe it was 5-90 that said that. And I am pretty sure it was said that batteries like Optima will emit gas but only when charging. So what ever you do make sure you vent the battery when it is inside the cab.
People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous. Edmund Burke
Old October 2nd, 2008, 22:44
NAXJA Forum User

Is this the thread you are referring to?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...=963038&page=2

~Alex

Edit: wrong link

Last edited by alex22; October 2nd, 2008 at 22:49.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 00:35
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex22 View Post
Is this the thread you are referring to?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...=963038&page=2

~Alex

Edit: wrong link
Yes, no wonder I couldnt find it. It was in the Vendors section.

From that link you had in there, it says not inside during use, or charging. Hmmm.....