• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 disconnect to single piece axleshaft, seal questions

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to convert my vacuum disconnect dana-30 in my '89 to a single piece shaft, like the later models. However.. Can I simply re-use the seals that are originally used on the '89? I've heard that you can buy an axle seal for a later model, grind down the surface and then install it, but I'd rather not take the carrier out. Is it possible to simply take out the two piece axle shaft, and insert the one piece without changing any seals whatsoever, or do they have different diameters?

I wonder if the 1989 Dana-30 with Np242 package would have the correct seals? Since they didn't use vacuum disconnect with the Np242 in any years, it would make sense. Anyone know?

No. Not possible.

The 89 D30 from the NP242 is the same as the later housings, and uses a seal right next to the carrier.

I have an 89 Disco 30 in my 94, and did the 1 piece shaft conversion earlier this year. Removing the carrier imo is the easy part of this swap. Dremeling evenly and properly is the tougher part.

i did that too, i measured the sealing surface on the shaft with calipers and then measured the inner tube sealing surface and took the measurements to the local napa and i got the one with a perfect fit on the shaft and as close as i could get on the tube then dremeled and siliconed and not a leak yet...knowck on wood

The reason I don't want to take the carrier out is that I don't want shims and such to pop out and have no idea how to put them back in.

It's never been clear why exactly a single piece won't just go right in, can you guys tell me why?

On a Dana-30 vacuum disconnect passenger side, there is an inner axle seal and an outer, correct? The outer is on the right side of the vacuum housing.

Why won't a later single piece shaft go right in? Are both seals too big, or small? Or is it just the inner that's too big or small?

If I use the above method of only having an outer seal, will that work properly?

I just can't find any solid information about it.

just press a stock seal into the outside of the vacuum box housing. but make sure to sand down the shaft where it will ride on the new seal
enjoy the leaks!

The reason I don't want to take the carrier out is that I don't want shims and such to pop out and have no idea how to put them back in.

It's never been clear why exactly a single piece won't just go right in, can you guys tell me why?

On a Dana-30 vacuum disconnect passenger side, there is an inner axle seal and an outer, correct? The outer is on the right side of the vacuum housing.

Why won't a later single piece shaft go right in? Are both seals too big, or small? Or is it just the inner that's too big or small?

If I use the above method of only having an outer seal, will that work properly?

I just can't find any solid information about it.

the other shaft won't fit through it and as the shaft isn't designed to have a seal there its rough. There is no inner seal on yours.

If you're careful in removing the carrier nothing will be disturbed.

[\quote]
they won't pop out. the carrier bearings are pressed on and the shims are between the carrier bearings and the carrier. it's 4 bolts and some pulling to remove the carrier.

Okay I fully understand it now. Disconnect Dana-30s only have an outer seal, so you have to install an inner seal, but since the housing wasn't designed for this, you have to grind it and use a caliper to measure the diameters.

Seems simple enough then. Here's a question for putting the entire axle assembly together to replace a seal - do you have to use any loctite? On the axle nut, hub bolts etc. like

they have an inner and outer seal, one in the diff and another in the disco box thing

you only need to replace the inner seal by the diff. carrier removal is very simple. open the cover, remove 4 bolts keep bolts and bearing caps in the same orientation they cane out of, i put mine in a box and set it on a safe shelf and wrote the orientation of things on the box, remove and replace seal...while your in there look at the other side seal and clean your diff out good.

reinstall and torque cap bolts to 65 ft lbs i think

put cover back on fill and enjoy

I know we are moving a bit off topic here but...
What about pulling the entire axle tube and replacing with a later model tube or better yet a thicker tube?
Has anyone here done that?

Cal?

Hmm are you sure they have an inner seal? I pulled the vacuum shift fork plate off tonight and a bunch of fluid came out - either it's leaking, or it's not there.

So I'm correct in saying that the inner-diameter of the axle tube is smaller than the non-disconnect dana-30s, at least where the inner seal goes?

Also, "Jump This", from what I've heard, the tube from the disconnect-30 is actually stronger than later years. And if you're going to go through the trouble of swapping tubes, why not just swap in an entirely different axle? Seems like that would make more sense, at least in some applications.

they have an inner and outer seal, one in the diff and another in the disco box thing

you only need to replace the inner seal by the diff. carrier removal is very simple. open the cover, remove 4 bolts keep bolts and bearing caps in the same orientation they cane out of, i put mine in a box and set it on a safe shelf and wrote the orientation of things on the box, remove and replace seal...while your in there look at the other side seal and clean your diff out good.

reinstall and torque cap bolts to 65 ft lbs i think

put cover back on fill and enjoy

Disco 30's do not have a seal on the pass side of the diff, only on the driver's side.

I know we are moving a bit off topic here but...
What about pulling the entire axle tube and replacing with a later model tube or better yet a thicker tube?
Has anyone here done that?

Cal?

Would probably be easier to replace the whole axle with a later model one.

Which is what I'm doing now.

hmm mine musta been a fluke then i had a disco d30 and i had a seal on the outside of the disco box area thing and one in the pass side of the diff.

hmm mine musta been a fluke then i had a disco d30 and i had a seal on the outside of the disco box area thing and one in the pass side of the diff.

Yeah, I know when I had mine open to do the conversion there was no seal there.

I have seen a write-up on here or somewhere on how to modify the disco D-30 to accept the inner seal on the pass side. I'm getting ready to do this as well, I want the stronger housing.

Does anyone have a link to this write-up?

Sorry for the hi-jack

doesnt gear lube need to be in the disco housing? if yes, then wouldnt an inner seal not allow gear lube into the disco housing?

Back