• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator problems...overcharging?

00XJmike

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching the multitude of alternator problem threads....if you know of one that applies I'm listening.
Got a 'check gauges' light today, dash gauge for battery at zero. Restart jeep, battery gauge at dash stays approx 12v for about 10-15min minutes, then drops down to nothing again.

I'm running voltage test with my voltmeter.
Engine off, battery voltage = 12.44
Engine running, voltage at battery =12.2

Now I disconnect the wire that goes to the output stud on the back of the alternator and put the voltmeter on just the stud while jeep is running and I get 25 volts....what sense does that make?

oh yeah, I have 5 90's battery cables and a fairly new battery, both not even a year old. I think I caught this very early, as my battery has not died yet.

I've been searching the multitude of alternator problem threads....if you know of one that applies I'm listening.
Got a 'check gauges' light today, dash gauge for battery at zero. Restart jeep, battery gauge at dash stays approx 12v for about 10-15min minutes, then drops down to nothing again.

I'm running voltage test with my voltmeter.
Engine off, battery voltage = 12.44
Engine running, voltage at battery =12.2

Now I disconnect the wire that goes to the output stud on the back of the alternator and put the voltmeter on just the stud while jeep is running and I get 25 volts....what sense does that make?

When you disconnect the alternator, the regulator will not see the output of the alternator, and will try to ramp it up accordginly until it damn sure does. So, I'm not surprised by your result.

Retest, but do so with the test lead on the alternator output post and the alternator connected so you can get a better idea. If the alternator output/system voltage is still lower with the engine running than the battery voltage with the engine off, get a new alternator.

retested today, with the test lead on the alternator output and alternator connected (running), voltage is still lower. Took the alternator out and had it bench testd at autozone, tested fine.

5-90
When you disconnect the alternator, the regulator will not see the output of the alternator, and will try to ramp it up accordginly until it damn sure does. So, I'm not surprised by your result

To me this sounds like the alt. is good, it is charging- I'm getting a whopin 25 volts disconnected, maybe the problem is the regulator?

Lemme tell ya about the benches they use at Autozone and other chain stores...

They check voltage output. Yes, voltage output is controlled by a voltage regulator - but it's not what's critical, and what should be getting measured. It's current that you're interested in.

In a roundabout way (cf. Ohm's Law,) the voltage regulator works to regulate current output of the alternator - which sounds odd, until you realise that voltage and current are mathematically related in a closed system. Once you see that, it makes more sense.

Why is this a problem? Because the benches at AZ/AA/PB/... don't put a heavy load on the alternator to stimulate current output - they check for 12VDC at something like 1/2 to 1 Ampere. Yeah - not much. I have flashlights that draw more than that (SureFire pushes the filaments in their bulbs like you wouldn't believe!) 12VDC@1A won't even power a decent fan - Hell, the HVAC blower fan is good for 20-25A at full tilt, and around 12A or so at low speed!

So, how do we qualify that test? Say it with me kids: "Useless." My suggestion to you is to find a shop that does naught but alternators & starters (they're out there. I know they're out there, I've got one I've been dealing with for about fifteen years now, and I talked him into doing mail-order a few years ago...) and take your alternator in for him to put on his bench - since he's likely to be able to not only put a high-current load on your alternator, but tell you just how much current you can get out of your alternator and still get nominal system voltage (13.6VDC or so @ however many amperes.) And, if it turns out you'll need a replacement - get it from him! Yes, AA/AZ/PB/... offer "Lifetime Warranties" on their parts - catch is, you usually end up needing them. The big chains get most of their parts by the large Conex box from China, testing at the factory is a hit-or-miss proposition at best, and I've told you about the test at the shop. That Lifetime Warranty is little more than playing the odds.

You get it from the little shop, and you'll be talking to the guy that does the building and testing. He's going to wring it out on his bench before he gives it to you, and chances are quite good he can tell you exactly what your alternator will be capable of. And, pricing should be comparable.

The little guy might only give you a one-year warranty, but the best warranty is the warranty you don't need. I'd take a one-year warranty that I won't need over a Lifetime warranty that I damn sure will need any day of the week, without thinking.

problem solved, guess I got lucky.
I cleaned up all my grounds and connections(again) and put the old alternator back in and now it is charging great.

5-90- thanks for the explanation regarding some of the chain parts store. I'm stationed in puerto rico right now and my options are kinda limited. the guys at the local autozone speak english:yelclap:

New to forums so sorry in advance if i break any protocol im unaware of. So i just bought a 93 xj 4.0 with a automatic transmission and now im having a overcharging issue, everytime i floor it the idiot gauge just about pegs to 19, normally it will settle back down after a few seconds and go back to 13.7. One day it pegged after i floored it and stayed there so i cranked the heat turned on the lights to drop the voltage a little and limped it home. Grabbed the ol meter and sure enough battery was at 17.6. I ran to oreillys they hooked it up and said the battery came back good, alternator came back good and its a bad voltage regulator. Id rather not replace my pcm if i dont have to so im hoping someone has an idea as to what this can be. Also i let it sit for a while came back out and then everything was back to working normally but again when i floor it my battery goes up to about 18.

Back