• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Ragtop

Char-Broil

NAXJA Forum User
So recently I took my XJ off the road in an effort to save money by not paying car insurance on a vehicle I drive 3-4 times a month. My dad just bought a 7k lb car hauler and has a WJ V8 so provided I am a good son I will have that available when I am itching to get to Rausch Creek. That being said, I have some plans for my XJ. For now these plans are to keep the vehicle road worthy, so that someday I can get to driving it again. Plans include:

Finish front and rear bumpers: Enough said.

Rag top mod: I know some of you have seen this, and if anyone has pics, please post or link to them! I have only seen it once in JP magazine, it was a yellow XJ that had a rectangle cut out of the roof, much like an old VW bus or the new liberty rag tops. It looked like he just had a pickup tonneau cover rolled up at the back of the opening. It seems like an S-10 tonneau cover for a shortbed, possibly a stepside (if a regular bed is too wide) would work well and be very cheap. I don't like the idea of a cheromanchee or a complete chop because I like the usability of a wagon.

Cage: Starting with an internal cage for stiffness and safety with the roof mod, and if I happen to get good at working with tubing, maybe I'll make an exo.

Rock rails: Built in 2x4 or 2x6 box tube rock rails replacing my damaged rockers.

Belly skid. High clearance belly skid. Maybe I'll buy a TNT kit. who knows.

Rear seat delete: Possibly get rid of the rear seat, or at least make an alternate setup when it is removed. I've always wanted to re-locate teh battery under the rear seat area and custom build a tray for it in that area. Maybe this is a dumb idea - thoughts? I'd also like to build in a tool area under there.

Everything pretty and useless delete: Remove all interior stuff that is not necessary...headliner, sound bar, plastic, (except center console) carpet.

Second gas door: Since I have OBA now, I'd like to add a gas door on the passenger side for use as a storage area for an air hose. I would either make the hose coil up inside or just have a quick connect fitting inside the door so i have air to the rear.

New trans: I'd love to get a NV3550 in there or maybe even a 6 speed.

Crawl box: If I do the trans I want to do a doubler...either 2 NP231's or a 300 and a 231.

Tires: 35 maxxis bighorns.

Lockers: Aussie rear for starters

Also toying with the idea of a diesel swap. This probably wouldn't be for another 1-3 years...

Thoughts, comments, ideas? I'm open to suggestions.

This is what i'm going for with the rag top. maybe i'll spring the $ for one of these kits..

IMG_6513.jpg

that white XJ belongs to tcm glx on this board.

If you're worried about $50 per month for insurance, you may want to re-evaluate the cost of your build-up.

:confused1

That white XJ is awesome, did he do a write up at all on it or was it done by someone else?

Hey guys, that is my Jeep.

There is a full write up in JP Magazine, May Issue 2008. The XJ is now for sale.

Fully built 1992 Jeep Cherokee.
Have spent the last five years building. This rig is babied, and in great shape. It has a full 97+ front clip, 33's BFG Muds, 4.56 gears, locked front and rear, fully caged with a cage tied into a unibody that is fully reinforced. Bilstein 7100s 12"(f) and 14" (r) with TNT Long Arm.

Full write up and specs here: http://otrfabwerks.com/asp/Site/links/sale.asp

Email is quickest way to get a hold of me: [email protected]

Pics:
CIMG0300.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This jeep ISN'T a MALL crawler.. He just didn't beat the chit out it..I have seen this jeep, It is SWEET.....:peace:

Appreciate that Scott, true, it is not a mall crawler, it has been used to wheel!

Back