• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake pedal cruise control break switch

tugalo

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone replaced or adjusted this switch...its way up high on the brake pedal and behind EVERYTHING...is there an easy way to get to it?

not really an easy way to get to it. Crawl under and reach up to access-- it's easier with seat removed, but usually takes longer to pull seat than if you'd just attacked the switch.

You didn't mention the year, so I'm assuming it's a pre-90 with the extra white switch up on the brake pedal. As I recall, there is a screw on side of the bracket facing the passenger side. Remove that screw and the mounting bracket will slide over towards the passenger side and come right out. Much easier than trying to get the switch out of the bracket.

The switch itself can be take apart by carefully pressing the little tabs in and pulling it apart. There is a spring in there so don't loose that. Clean out the dried up grease, clean the contacts, and put a little silicon grease on everything and button it back up.

If you have an auto, this switch also tells the tranny computer to disengage the torque converter lockup, btw.

if your seat bolts arent rusted remove the seat i saw in your profile your age i just turned 50 and my days of laying upside dwn in the seat to work under the dash are gone i just had to work on that switch on my 98 and pulled the seat

I have the white switch way up and I have the four wire at the plunger rod from the booster. What does what? I put it back together without reconnecting the four wire or resetting the white one. Obviously this is not a street jeep. Other than bake lights what do I need to worry about. I dont think I realy want the TC to lockup in off road situations, do I? Oh, the brake lights defaulted to off, and that confuses me even more.

That white switch tells the trans computer to unlock the t/c when you hit the brakes. If its not working then the trans computer thinks you have the brakes on and never locks the t/c up which results in higher heat in the tranny and poor mileage. I doubt you'd notice much of a difference off-road either way. In fact the biggest complaint about an automatic off-road is that it doesn't lock the t/c going down hills which means no engine braking.

The other function of the switch is to tell the cruise control when you hit the brakes. The switch also releases the vacuum on the cruise solenoid just to make sure it lets goes when its supposed to. That's to avoid the Audi 5000 type sudden acceleration type incidents (although Ralph Nader put it best when he said the dumb shits had their foot on the gas instead of the brake).

That switch doesn't control the brakes lights. Thats the switch lower down on the pedal.

Back