• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA and King of the Hammers '09

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Team NAXJA is competing in the ultimate desert race, King of the Hammers '09.

As many of you know, Paul Sinclair and I competed in the inagural running of this new race format in Feb of this year. We had a Top 10 finish placing 7th out of 43 entries in my XJ based buggy with a bone stock 4.0L. King of the Hammers is a brand new racing format, which combines rock racing and desert racing. Last year's course had roughly 10 miles of rock crawling and 40 miles of desert, including 8 of the original Hammer trails in Johnson Valley, CA.

Since we're racing XJ's, or at least what used to be XJ's, the club has agreed to allow us to compete as TEAM NAXJA and cover some basic expenses. We believe that the exposure that this race will provode for our club and this website make this worthwhile for all of us. The only other 4x4 website/club that has a team entered is Pirate4x4, which puts us in some pretty good company. Our team members and pit crew are NAXJA members, so this is really a club effort. Paul and I will again compete in my buggy, and Dave Taylor and Garry Hall will compete in Dave's XJ buggy.

The date for next years race is Friday, Feb 27th. There will also be a short last chance qualifier race on Thurs, Feb 26th. There are 75 entries in the race, all chosen by the promotors and marketing partners. We had an automatic invite because of our Top 10 finish in the last race. Dave and Garry did not get one of the 75 initial invites, but they did get invited to compete in the qualifier race on Thurs. This qualifier race could be really intense, as the racers will be competing on a tough 2 mile course, with the best times getting entry into the big race on Friday. The number of last chance qualifiers to get into the race will be determined by how many of the 75 invited entries don't end up sending in their entries fees by the Oct 1 deadline, so the field will be kept at 75 competitors. Last race, there were 55 invited, and 43 entered, so we'll have to wait and see how many of the 75 actually enter, and how many spots Dave and Garry will be competing for.

The competition this time will be fierce, as there are almost twice as many competitors, and after the last race teams have a much better idea of what this race is all about. We also understand that the course will be longer and tougher. The web based coverage of last years race was pretty sketchy, and we've been assured it will be much better this time. The race will also be open to spectators for any that want to come out and be a part of the action.

We have a number of things that we need to do to be more competitive, including some improvements to the rig and other race equipment. We were able to borrow a few things last race, but we'll need to purchase them this time, and now we have two cars to equip. We plan to have a team fundraising effort, and are working on a "Proud Supporter of Team NAXJA" T-shirt. We'll get details out as soon as they're ready.

Many thanks to those of you who helped us out last year, to those who sent some financial help, to those who came by and helped do prep work on the buggy, and to those who came out to the race to wrench on the rig and work in the pits. I also want to thank our sponsors again, NAXJA, Rigwerks, JE Reel Drivelines, Maxxis, and the Rolling Gnomes Blue 52's. We look forward to working with you all again, and let's go kick some butt!!

Looking forward to it. Hopefully this year I get to see it in person.

Richard, this is GREAT news! I remember your recap from the first race and will definitely look forward to hearing about this one. Best of success to the team!

Looking forward to this.....hoping to attend!
BTW, did they ever release the video of the event?

They actually did a feature on it on Extreme 4X4, on Spike T.V. Showed quite a few rigs & interviews.

ia green96 said:
They actually did a feature on it on Extreme 4X4, on Spike T.V. Showed quite a few rigs & interviews.

Here's the segment that showed on Spike TV, minus the commercials. This was about half of a 1/2 hour show. Paul and I both got interviews.

http://phillipscreative.us/movies/KOH/

The DVD is supposed to be released the first of Oct at the Offroad Expo in Pomona.

There will the some of the Colorado contingent making the trip out to help run and staff the pits and assist with the vehicles in any way we can. The first event was so much fun, and there is no way we are going to miss the 2nd race.

Besides a trip to the desert while Colorado is still in winter - just rocks

Grant

I can't wait for KOH 09...

We've just gotten started on improvements to Richard's buggy, & Dave's putting his list togetther.

I'd say we definitely exceeded all expectations in KOH 08, & with what everyone learned form 08 we know that 09 will be much more competitive. For a couple of months I felt that we had little chance to do as well in 09, but not now; with the work we're putting into the buggy, the team (support crew, etc...), & the time we're going to put into prerunning, I'm convinced we can do even better than last year.

Paul

XJEEPER said:
Looking forward to this.....hoping to attend!
BTW, did they ever release the video of the event?

You should fly down for the Rockin Jambo in Nov., there might be a way for you to use someone's a buggy for a day:dunno:

Paul

I'm sure you know Richard I've already got the event on the calender and the vacation request put in.

Please god don't let it rain this time. I'm still getting clay out of my ears.

cal said:
I'm sure you know Richard I've already got the event on the calender and the vacation request put in.

Please god don't let it rain this time. I'm still getting clay out of my ears.

The rain sucked a lot for you, but it did keep the dust down. We're kinda stressing about how to handle the potential dust with 75 competitors & likely no rain.

Paul

Paul S said:
The rain sucked a lot for you, but it did keep the dust down. We're kinda stressing about how to handle the potential dust with 75 competitors & likely no rain.

Paul

Why would you stress? thats the problem of 74 guys behind you.

Is it February 26th yet ? I couldn't be anxious for it to get here.
Garry and I will need to get in the main race through the LQC. An all out race up backdoor against the rest of the people trying to qualify for the few remaining spots in the main race.
It's going to be 2 miles of pure hammer down fun.

Thanks to everyone at naxja for all the help and support. It's an honor to be on the team with Richard and Paul. With the great crew we have and a little luck, we should be there to take the green flag in the main race.

Hey Dave, if you guys need anything I've got a miller, plasma cutter and gear tools you can use. :)

Back