• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

different hood vents

I'm looking for a little input on this one. If I can get this project done before the Fall Fling, great. If not, thats fine too.
I found a set of hood vents off of a Chevy Lumina Z34 something or another. They are all metal, have larger openings than the Lebaron vents and also have plastic drain pans.

Here are some pics:

Just placed on the hood
1000429vl4.jpg

Mocked up under the hood to show fitment
1000430ca0.jpg

And with the drip pans mocked up. They would have to be trimmed to clear the hood supports. That would put the drip pans draining over approximatly the AC compressor and the power steering pump.
1000431io7.jpg

And a little comparrison between that and the LeBarron vents.
1000432jf4.jpg

The pro's that I see are that the vents are made of metal (as apposed to plastic with the LeBarron vents), drain pans with a mesh between them and the vent, I like the styleing, and I havent seen it done on an XJ before. The cons I see are the drain pans may restrict airflow, pans may drip onto the serp belt, and I havent seen it done on an XJ before.

Opinions?...

Looks good, I see a lot of potential in these!

~Scott

The light came stock on my '87

reelbigdundy87 said:
The light came stock on my '87

Lucky...someone stole mine before the rig was mine! I have an '89 limited and it has everything for the light, but no light.

(n)

~Scott

I have them.
HPIM0181.jpg

HPIM0184.jpg

You really don't need the drip pans. IllianaXJ used them, I don't think he used the drip pans either. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
You really don't need the drip pans. IllianaXJ used them, I don't think he used the drip pans either. JIM.

Truth.

HPIM1373.jpg

DSCN0166.jpg

If you really want to use the drip pans, search for mcnamagg's thread. He put Z34 vents in the same place you have yours mocked up with the drip pans.

The drip pans all depend on where you place the vents. If you place the vents over the throttle body you run the risk of icing the sensors which is not a good thing. If they are out to the side then there is nothing to really worry about.

stewie said:
The pro's... I havent seen it done on an XJ before. The cons I see are... and I havent seen it done on an XJ before.

Looks like one pro and one con have just been taken care of for you by the pictures in above posts. :eyes:

I like them. Go for it.

Another option using drip pans. Just finished these up on my MJ. These are original 5.9L 1998 ZJ vents using the drip pans. Here's the top shot of the mounting holes and large air holes..

done1.jpg

The underside - clears the frame nicely..

done2.jpg

Top view installed..

done3.jpg

Underside w. drip pans..

done4.jpg

The drip pans are easily removable to suit the seasons or underhood cooling requirements.

Last edited:
I run 3rd gen firebird vents. The ones on the front of the hood. they look very similar, mount slightly different.

IllXJ I put them where you did, and I have to say, yours look pretty hot.

All of you guys are making me jealous. Everyones looks soooo good! I need to get on the ball with this. What is most people estimated time to complete this?

Built2Flex said:
All of you guys are making me jealous. Everyones looks soooo good! I need to get on the ball with this. What is most people estimated time to complete this?

It took me all afternoon, mostly deciding where I wanted them. The factory location on the export Orvis XJs is shown below. I originally intended to put mine in the same location, but the drip pans wouldn't fit. Then I found out later the "vents" on the export Orvis model XJs are dummies (at least in the UK); ornamentation only, and have no drip pans. The ZJ vents I had were functional w. pans, so I ended up putting them back toward the windshield.

XJVents5.jpg

done3.jpg

stewie said:
I'm looking for a little input on this one. If I can get this project done before the Fall Fling, great. If not, thats fine too.
I found a set of hood vents off of a Chevy Lumina Z34 something or another. They are all metal, have larger openings than the Lebaron vents and also have plastic drain pans.

Here are some pics:

Just placed on the hood
1000429vl4.jpg

Mocked up under the hood to show fitment
1000430ca0.jpg

And with the drip pans mocked up. They would have to be trimmed to clear the hood supports. That would put the drip pans draining over approximatly the AC compressor and the power steering pump.
1000431io7.jpg

And a little comparrison between that and the LeBarron vents.
1000432jf4.jpg

The pro's that I see are that the vents are made of metal (as apposed to plastic with the LeBarron vents), drain pans with a mesh between them and the vent, I like the styleing, and I havent seen it done on an XJ before. The cons I see are the drain pans may restrict airflow, pans may drip onto the serp belt, and I havent seen it done on an XJ before.

Opinions?...

Would you want to mount them so the direction of the vent is to the side of the vehicle as opposed to towards the center ? Swap the sides or maybe rotate them 180*...
Just a thought...
Curt

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the trapezoidal shaped vents just don't look right on the XJ hood. The angles seem to clash with the squarish hood lines. I tried some Pontiac Trans Am vents, and no matter how I placed them they still looked wrong. I think that's why the LeBaron vents look pretty good; they're rectangular.

Took me two afternoons working in spurts to get mine done. Couldn't tell you how many times I ran to Rural King for hardware though :doh:

I like how mine turned out, I tried to angle them with the hood lines.

Back