• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Marine Corps submits withdrawal application to Bureau of Land Management

Bakerhab

NAXJA Forum User
From the Marine Corps Website. This has not been posted on the Federal Register yet, but the news is official. The Federal Register listing will include the specifics of the area withdrawn and a map will be available soon.

http://www.marines.mil/news/Pages/pressreleases.aspx

Harry Baker
Chairman
Partnership For Johnson Valley
[email protected]
818-705-3930 - office
818-370-3582 - cell

Marine Corps submits withdrawal application to Bureau of Land Management

8/19/2008
Division of Public Affairs HQMC Media Branch

3000 Marine Corps Pentagon, RM 4B548
Washington, DC 20350-3000

703-614-4309
WASHINGTON The Marine Corps submitted a land withdrawal application to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) for approximately 422,000 acres contiguous to Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif.

The application is part of an ongoing study by the Marine Corps for possible base expansion, along with the establishment of corresponding special-use airspace, necessary to train a Marine Expeditionary Brigade at the Combat Center.

The Marine Corps will be preparing an Environmental Impact Statement that will analyze the reasonable alternatives for meeting the MEB-training requirement. The Department of the Navy intends to publish a Notice of Intent to undertake the EIS in early November and conduct public scoping meetings in early December.

During the EIS analysis period, the Marine Corps will continue to work with recreational and business stakeholders to include energy companies, the airline industry and off-road vehicle enthusiasts. The recreational use of this land remains the same as prior to the withdrawal application.

Together with the BLM and the Federal Aviation Administration, we will study the best path forward for the Marine Corps to meet its training requirements, while analyzing and weighing the impact of the various alternatives on natural and socio-economic resources.

Explain to us tards what that means please... I cant comprehend that, this early in the morning, or prolly even other time of the day...

Try reading it remi.

During the EIS analysis period, the Marine Corps will continue to work with recreational and business stakeholders to include energy companies, the airline industry and off-road vehicle enthusiasts. The recreational use of this land remains the same as prior to the withdrawal application.

ROBERTK said:
Explain to us tards what that means please... I cant comprehend that, this early in the morning, or prolly even other time of the day...

In a nutshell, before the Marines can start their EIS process, they must "withdraw" the land they are interested in from "entry". This is the process by which they say "we are interested in this land, so until we say otherwise, no one else can ask for it".

This stops any proposals for energy development, mining, or other long term uses on the land they are withdrawing while they are deciding whether or not they want it.

In this case, do not confuse "entry" from "access". We will still have access, until they say otherwise.

k.

89sj said:
In a nutshell, before the Marines can start their EIS process, they must "withdraw" the land they are interested in from "entry". This is the process by which they say "we are interested in this land, so until we say otherwise, no one else can ask for it".

This stops any proposals for energy development, mining, or other long term uses on the land they are withdrawing while they are deciding whether or not they want it.

In this case, do not confuse "entry" from "access". We will still have access, until they say otherwise.

k.

Kris,

Thanks for providing a great explaination. As always, your understanding of land use issues is appreciated.

Helen

could they use more confusing language? I hear withdraw, and I think this is done with and they're not taking the land.

IslanderOffRoad said:
could they use more confusing language? I hear withdraw, and I think this is done with and they're not taking the land.

Frankly, they probably could be more confusing!

Even though they used the word 'withdrawal' it is officially called a 'segregation,' of land that has been identified for study. It also allows that activities that occur today, will continue through the life of the study. The BLM will continue to issue permits for events, and we encourage everyone to get out and use the area to make our presence felt.

If and/or when the land is 'withdrawn', it will be done by a congressional action. At that time, land would then be 'transferred' to the Marines.

This whole process is going to take many meetings and many years.

Helen
PFJV

According to a Marine Corps spokesperson, the study area includes lands to the east, south and west of the base. The area to the west of the base starts at the southwestern corner of the base and stairsteps to the west, across and south of the Johnson Valley Open Area, including some private lands outside of the Open Area.
The spokesperson stressed that this is only a study area, and that the final decision will likely encompass less area than is studied.

Helen
PFJV

Sorry everyone, I have been in BB with no internet so I have not been around to explain things here.

Helen and Harry and Helen's husband (okay, so I forget his name at the moment [Helen is much cuter than he is!]) are some of the primaries at Partnership for Johnson Valley.

They have explained what the Marines are doing. The question is, do you all understand it?
Now is the time to ask questions. If I don't know the answers, I'd bet we can get them.

Since I just pulled in (decided to check PM's and E-mail before even unloading.) I will need some time to check on this stuff.

To be sure, this was expected (the Marines Corps had previously stated that they would be issuing the withdrawal by mid August.)

IT DOES NOT MEAN WE HAVE LOST ANY LAND TO THE MARINE CORPS...yet.

Anyway, I'll have more time later.

Rick

Jump This said:
Then who was that young guy you were hanging around?
;)

I don't know, I think that his name was Dave something.......

Okay, all kidding aside, if you guys want to see the the study area look at this document and plot the information out.

Looks like the text of the application is up on their website. There are legal descriptions, I don't see a map though.

Left side menu.

http://www.29palms.usmc.mil/las/

Look on pages 9-11 of the document and it lists the township, range and section number requested. You can plot the study area out on the following Desert Access Guides:

Big Bear Lake DAG # 14 (southern Johnson Valley), Newberry Springs DAG # 11 (northern Johnson Valley), Amboy DAG # 12 (northeastern expansion area) and Sheephole Mountain DAG # 15 (east, southeast and south expansion areas)

Helen
PFJV

Here's the boundary of the "withdrawal" area. The base maps are the BLM Surface Management Maps.

Back