• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head liner question.

YosemiteMatt

NAXJA Forum User
So tonight I removed all the trim in my XJ. My head liner is sagging in several areas. My idea is to removed the whole board and retach it with some good old fashioned Elmer's glue.

***Problem*** I can't pull the board down because the interior lights are riveted to the roof. Any ideas to take care of that. Is a there a rivet remover or something I should buy?

Drill bit, just larger than the rivet's center. The head falls off, the center pushes back through the hole.

It's been some years since I messed with one of these headliners, but I used a spray on contact adhesive to attach the fabric to the backing board. I think I bought the adhesive at the auto parts.

HTH

Do a custom one like i did. i bought headliner from JC Whitney and bought some 3M adhesive and got creative. Im in love with it !

25rozeu.jpg

2i9mfb4.jpg

Also, another thing i did was i grabbed some of that paint that sticks to plastic. When i had all my trim out I cleaned em really good and painted them all with a nice coat so they all matched and were clean again.

It just makes you feel good when you know its clean and you know you did a good job.

Just saying since you stated you had your trim out..

The elme's was only a joke. LOL. Is the headlines velcrowed to the top. If I pull down the board I don't want to break it or bend it. If I pull it down are the interior lights mounted to the roof or the liner board?

Yeah, but the velcro are little strips in the front( thats what was on mine at least) but just use extra caution . your gonna have to take off the trim on top. not just the top though, alot of them are interlinked with one another. take off the oh shit handles. visors, clips for visors, domelight(s). once all thats off there are two clips on each side. i just used pliers to bend them down and slide out the headliner. careful though, best bet is to have a buddy or two help. its a bitch by yourself due to it being flimsy and you dont wanna have it bend in half on you.

There is a specialty adhesive used just for headliners made by 3M - you should be able to find it at JCW. You can also check local body shop supply outfits, and some of the better-stocked "small" local parts houses might also have it.

Make sure the backing board is clean - I believe there's usually a thin layer of foam under the fabric, and that should be scraped off before you try to reapply.

Some also report good results with putting polyester resin (part of a fibreglas kit, available pretty much anywhere) on the top side of the board to reinforce it.

I've also heard of people using some variety of brads or carpet tacks to help the adhesive out - push through from the cabin side, and bend the prong over once the head is snug against the board. This would be difficult if you've already coated the board with resin, but you can get it all done up, and then coat the board afterwards.

NB - If you use some variety of anything that might shrink, wash it to shrink it before you stick it on the board! Hell, wash whatever it is first anyhow, even if it's new. At least knock the sizing out of the stuff...

Also, if you reinforce the board with polyester resin and do a very good job of cleaning the inside, there's no real reason whatever you can't just paint the inside of the board and eliminate the fabric from the off.

NB - If you paint and/or use resin, allow a minimum of one full week for the thing to outgas in the garage before you install it back into your rig. No sense risking passing out behind the wheel, is there?

Back