• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Height measurement?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I know a while ago there was a page that floated around with ways to measure your lift height... I need them to be intepended from flares and fenders as mine are no longer OEM (rear trimmed and front TJ).....

Thanks
Kejtar

Kej....
I've been selling this for two years. The ********* (bahahahahaha.... that's not a dirty word, boys) method...

D-i-l-l-i-n-g-e-r method

It works out exact on every Cherokee I've tried. (for actual height....not advertised height)

Take the vehicle to a level surface, and measure from the uniframe area immediately behind the lower control arm. Stock height is 12", so what ever you get will have to have 12" deducted from it.

Now, figure the difference in the diameter (actual) of the larger tires and the 225's that it started life with... If the difference is a total of 3", then subtract only half of that (since the other half is over top of the axle and doesn't contribute to or negate any lift)

What is left after the twelve inches and half of the tire difference is actual lift.

I just realized that I should take two measurements on mine :D
1. as it is
2. remove the spare tire (full size 31") and all the tools that permanently reside in the cargo area...... I think that's hiding 1/2" to 1" that I got LOL

Kejtar

Think I would measure from the center of the Wheel to a speicfic point and after the upgrade recheck the measurement. Hope this helps. The real question is does the change help? Hope this helps?

Craig

I think the answer to your question is the difference between the F/R on a stock XJ should be about .25" higher in the rear as measured from the center of the axle to the fenders----that's on an original XJ.

Here's the numbers:

[Stock] Front / Rear (Delta)

-Frame = 6.75" / 6.0" (.75")
-Fender = 17.25" / 17.5" (.25")

[Rancho] Front / Rear (Delta)

-Frame = 9.50" / 7.5" (2.0")
-Fender = 20.0" / 19.0" (1.0")

[RE] Front / Rear (Delta)

-Frame = 11.50" / 9.0" (2.50")
-Fender = 22.0" / 21.5" (.5")

Please check the numbers if you wish ... this is based on the information posted on this site in addition to the actual measurements from my '91XJ----unless I overlooked the obvious they do correlate.

Realtive to the data, the "frame-to-axle" measuring method is accurate to determine "actual" before and after F/R suspension lift ... but what I find interesting is the difference between "advertised" lift and the "perceived" outcome.

Rancho's advertised lift was 3" of lift ... well that was only in the front ... the rear was 1.5" for an overall average of 2.25".

RE's advertised lift is 4.5" ... and what I find based on this info is the front should measure out at 4.75" ... and the rear at 4.0" for an overall average of 4.375"---close enough for me.

Of course this data is all predicated on the condition of your suspension at the time---hence the ±.5" tolerance disclaimer.

Last edited:
ok, so I finally did the measuremnt in the rear and I banged my head on the tank skid in surprise. Based on the recent numbers posted which list the top of the tube to the bottom of the frame rail where the bump stop mounts being 6" with the additional 1" if it's upcountry, my 3.5" RE leafs are sitting at a wopping 12" !! thus netting me 5" over UC and 6" over stock......... I think that they will end up settling significatnly the first time I will get a chance to articulate them a bit... but for now with the front being 3" ~ 3.5" lets just say that I look interesting :) The only saving grace of the look is that my front fenders are hacked and I got TJ flares which even out the look a bit...

Back