• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Improve your shackle angle

Dirk Pitt

Adam Dowling
In addition to our rocker skins (which can also be seen here in mod tech) H.D. Off Road Engineering, LLC. is releasing a cure to the undesirable shackle angle.

Shackle relocation brackets install by using the original shackle bolt along with 3 bolts on the bottom of the frame (where a hitch would attach). Once the box is positioned where you want it, weld it up to complete the install.

The brackets... Notice the holes in the actual shackle bracket are slotted to allow you to dial in your desired shackle angle perfectly.
c0dc5859.jpg

Another view...
e42826d8.jpg

Here is a view of my stock shackle angle at ride height. This is with a MJ/XJ hybrid pack giving around 4" of lift...
69bdc70a.jpg

Here is the stock shackle at full drop...
f75c3b84.jpg

I started by removing the stock bumper and hitch. Jack the vehicle up and place on jack stands. Allow the axle to fully drop and remove the stock upper shackle bolt on each side allowing the axle to drop out.

Leaving you this...
34430167.jpg

Cut a few slots in the portion of the box that flare out at the bottom front and side as shown and fold them so the box can sit flush against the stock box...
22a61b09.jpg

More to come in the next post... Stay tuned...

As some have already done,wouldn't be easier to make the box fit inside the factory pocket(no mods) and make it all one-piece(I think the slots will want to move)!

Haha, I've been working on brackets just like emm myself, can't wait to see how yours look.

Position the upper bracket over the stock shackle box and install the stock shackle bolt and tighten it down. Then install 3 bolts into the rear of the frame into the hitch mount bolt holes (only one seen here)and tighten them down...
8f07fc04.jpg

Then install the lower bracket over the bolts welded into the upper bracket...
7c16bdf5.jpg

Another view of the second bracket. Note the slotted holes for ultimate fine tuning to fit each rig...
a7fb1f24.jpg

Install the shackle into the new lower bracket and put new bolt in.

Here is a view from the rear of the finished install...
d3889fd5.jpg

Finally, here is the finished result. At ride height with stock shackle...
a20ce719.jpg

And at full drop...
f526ae76.jpg

I'll update this thread in a bit with pictures of the results flexed up, but the full results won't be realized until longer shocks can be installed (these are maxed out easily) and longer shackles can be installed to even greater improve the travel available.

At this time, I have gained about an inch in lift and the ride on has actually improved considerably, which I didn't really expect.

Once you have the brackets installed the way you want them. They must be welded to complete the install. Adjustability has been built in to help fine tune to your liking, and also to ensure fit with every vehicle.

Stay tuned to the vendor forum in the coming days to see more of these. PM myself or Brianho13 if you want a set of these for yourself. We are waiting onthe state of Indiana to finalize our paperwork, which should happen any day.

Last edited:
At this time, I have gained about an inch in lift and the ride on has actually improved considerably, which I didn't really expect. this is his quote

WOW !!!! this is what i have been needing for years!!! i am buying some asap! pm gonna be sent tonighht when i get $ in the paypal! i was thinking about doing my own plate or getting new leaves... man this is kick ass! nice work! support your vendors!

whenever production starts count me in! and dammit i can't post in the giveaway thread cuz i didnt pay enough to be a member...:tears: (n) :doh:
I cant help it i have no money to throw into internet forum memberships... i have to spend millions building my jeep!

Why not move the bolt one hole forward? It seems like you'd get better droop that way. i'm correcting you, I'm just curious because I want a set, and I'd rather not screw anything up.

XJ98Jeep said:
Why not move the bolt one hole forward? It seems like you'd get better droop that way. i'm correcting you, I'm just curious because I want a set, and I'd rather not screw anything up.

If I move it one hole forward with the stock shackle, it won't have enough room to swing rearward when the leaf stuffs.

When I put on a longer shackle, I will move it one hole forward.

A few pictures.

Excuse the makeshift RTI ramp. It's all I had on hand.

All the tires are still on the ground in all the pics.

Forward.
f92e545f.jpg

Backward.
b6c6651f.jpg

5c281573.jpg

A close up of the shackles in the articulated position.
429e9ea3.jpg

Really nice Stuff, Now that you have the shackel (rear) end covered is it possible to make a bolt on extension for the front leaf spring mount?
So we can gain a little lift & keep the pinion angle correct without having to shim?
Front & rear leaf spring extensions would be great!!

Back