• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ steering upgrade

Jeepsloth

Gort like Jeep
I wanted to upgrade my "stock" steering so I purchased the ZJ steering parts and went to work.

I picked up the following TRW parts from the local Advance Auto
DS1312 Long tie rod $49.48
ES3096L Short tie rod end $27.38
ES2079S Adjustment sleeve $15.98

Steering001a.jpg

Yep, pretty easy took about 30 minutes with some measurin' and a test drive included.

wow, you got those parts for pretty cheap! I remember pricing this out a few years ago and it seemed like all the parts would cost over 150 new!

Yeah, someone else posted recently and listed all the parts. I forget the year break but the 95 has a solid drag link so you don't need to get it or the other TRE. So that makes it a little cheaper.

Are those ball joints new? Looks pretty spotless! Nice job.

I did this a couple years back and mine has been beat on. So far it has held up well. I think I dropped close to $100 total on mine.

if they had made it straight like the XJ tie-rod it wouldn't do that as easily....

go with currie, don't look back.

its a good upgrade I ran it for several years and it was fine on 31's etc. You can get a HD non-bendable tie rod for around the same price though,from tomken, rough country, skyjacker, iron rock and others.

if they had made it straight like the XJ tie-rod it wouldn't do that as easily....

go with currie, don't look back.
ive thought this to myself as well.

and x2. i see a lot of people without currie bitching about its price. those that i know with currie give it nothing but praise.

its a good upgrade I ran it for several years and it was fine on 31's etc. You can get a HD non-bendable tie rod for around the same price though,from tomken, rough country, skyjacker, iron rock and others.
the problem with that i feel is that you start putting even more strain on the drag link. fix one problem, create another. i bent my drag link the next day with a stock tie rod attached... which also got ripped in two. was the drag link fatigued from the tie rod failure? one could argue it was. regardless, i dont wheel very hard.

ive thought this to myself as well.

and x2. i see a lot of people without currie bitching about its price. those that i know with currie give it nothing but praise.

of all the mods I've done, the ones with the name currie in front of them are the only ones that have only had to be done once.

the price is in the mid-range... you want to talk expensive, look at JK steering kits :eek:

If you can get the parts for a good price, a WJ steering/brake conversion can run you about the same as the Currie steering. And have even BETTER steering/brakes.
I really do not understand the people that go with huge tires and stock brakes. Trail only, not a big deal I guess. DD/wheeler. I wouldn't run stock front brakes with anything larger than 31's
You can even do your own crossover style setup with stock knuckles for less than currie steering. Not bashing it, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on it.

You can order a goferit insert and flip the drivers side over the knuckle. Doing that you also flip the tie rod 180 and it will give more diff clearance. Some call it a double flip zj upgrade. I havent had problems with mine. Are there better upgrades? Sure but im happy with the 40 bucks i spent on mine.

Back