• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front dig with a 231

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
after getting my ass handed to me at CalRocs -
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=951244

part of which I think has to do with it being my first time driving where backups are bad, and there are lines you HAVE to take, but part of it I think was my transfercase only having 1 stick...

I have the following:
Teralow 4:1 231
Advance Adapters 32 spline HD SYE
Novak Conversions shifter
Teralow 2-low

Im thinking that since my rear output is 32 spline, and Jess at high angle driveline makes 32 spline Toyota driveshaft flanges ($119):
http://www.highangledriveline.com/new_products.html
and since trail tough:
http://trailtough.com/
disc3.JPG

makes a toyota rear driveshaft disconect ($429) so the toyota guys can front dig, I can just spend like $600 more, and have a 4:1, independantly controled front and rear output transfercase in the small, lightweight, compact 231 package...

Of course I would have to modifiy my rear driveshaft, and my spare rear driveshaft to match.

I'd probably take the oppurtunity to put a wide chain on it from JB Conversions for a little piece of mind...

I worry about the front output taking all the load, but then was thinking about a few times inwhich ive pinned my rear diff with both rear tires in the air, and only the fronts on the ground, and my t-case is still allive right now...

thoughts?

Don't dump any more money into the chain driven junk.
You know you want a 5:1 low range anyway.

You should be able to get a 5:1 for right at $2000, that's what I paid for mine a couple years ago.

"Stock"? The only thing that's still stock on my rig is the AX15 and that has a Hurst shifter on it. :laugh:

I'm not sure I'd trust a 231 for front digs, but if you were going to do it, that's probably about the only way.

I have been more than pleased with my 231-D300 doubler setup. Even with both cases having stock gears, I'd much rather have that than a single 4:1 or 5:1 case. It shifts wonderfully and I can basically hit the rear output in on the fly during front digs without hitting the clutch or letting up at all...it's probably not supposed to work that way, but it's great fun. Especially with the rear cutting brakes.

It's not as light as a single 231 obviously, but the overall length doesn't change all that much, and I can still easily lift and install the complete cases by myself. It's definitely less than 100 lbs.

edit: just saw you're using the Novak shifter. I got the same one, and it still works great for my doubler box. You can kinda see the lever poking up here:

n24800499_32017075_486.jpg

Last edited:
As you spend more money, you keep getting closer to an Atlas.....which I know you know already. I don't see that you're that much more likely to break the case by doing a front dig. Mostly you do them when the front will slip, rather than when the front is in a bind. If the front's in a bind is when you're likely to break something, whether it's 2wd or 4wd. If you decided to try it, I wouldn't worry about the chain, I've never heard of one breaking. It may stretch and wear sooner, but not break. If you spend the $$ for wider sprokets and chain you're really getting close to the Atlas.

If you're halfway serious about competing, sell your modified 231 and get the Atlas.

Another vote for the 231-300 combo.

You sure you want to do front digs with a chain and stock front output? As long as you are going to go crazy with the 231 go back to a stock slip output in the rear and rig it to where you can slip the shaft off..........way cheaper and just as crazy.

vetteboy said:
I love the Hurst. And the apehanger it's mounted on. :D

DSC02699.JPG

Not trying to be an Ass but i think you are missing a shifter. Hahahahahaha. Why do you have so many anyways:dunno:

:D

Counter-clockwise from the top.

1) 5-speed handle for the NV4500 trans
2) shifter for the 231 doubler box, either 1:1 or 2.72:1
3) shifter for D300 rear output, low-neutral-high
4) shifter for D300 front output, low-neutral-high
5) rear axle cutting brake lever, driver side tire
6) rear axle cutting brake lever, passenger side tire

It's really not all that ridiculous when you think about it. I use them all very frequently on the trail. Crawl range is 182:1 with everything in low, 1st gear and it goes up from there.

those little pinion gears, whatever they went to, cant be easy on the hands when you grab em???? but awesome idea for a shifter handle tho, kinda like my old shifter for my ax-15 that was a budwieser beer tap handle.

JeepFreak21 said:
He probably took a flapper wheel to the sharper corners.
Billy

Good guess. :D

Those are pinion gears from a small industrial right-angle gearbox that turns ventilation fans for a chicken hatchery in upstate NY.

I did the 203/205 but I'd look into a 203/300 set up. The 205 is just too big for an xj. The dodge 203 will bolt up with just a little bit of machining, and the 300 can be found for a lot less then an atlas. I believe you probalby could even do the adapter for the two cheaper then what I spent on my set up. I have less then 1K in my doubler set up.

I dont like the idea od a doubler... thats the reason i bought the teralow...

an atlas is on the list...

perhaps mid-summer after a little more $$ can be saved up...

I'm using the Trail Tough drive disconnect in the buggy.
It's a nice unit and has worked fine for me.

Back