• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lining cargo area

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled my carpet and cleaned the cargo area. Tomorrow I plan on getting the actual "bedliner" materials. Obviously Herculiner is the popular choice, and Ive also found a Duplicolor Truck Bed Liner in an aerosol can. I think the spray would be easier to use, especially getting into the corners and along the wheel wells. Anyone use this and have an opinion?

Any additional prep steps to be aware of? What is best to clean the floor with? Should it be scuffed up with something? How much liner would I need, i.e. would the quart of Herc be enough (Im going up to the back seat, including the full wheel well) or if I do the spray, how many cans? Any and all tips regarding this are greatly appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get this right the first time. Let me learn from your mistakes:laugh:

I did my front oem skid and both bottom rear quarter panels out of one can. Thats 2 coats each. It has a more fine texture compared to other bed liners. It has held up very well. I think I am going to do the cargo area of mine with it too, it was a very no slip feel to it. I just used a sanding sponge, forget the grit I used but it wasn't real fine. Sanded, cleaned with paint prep and sprayed it on. I didn't use primer and it has held up for 1 1/2 years so far. Good luck and post pics when you get it done.

Last edited:
I have the whole floor of my XJ rhinolined and I love it. It is easy as hell to clean and if it does get nasty oh well. I also have the duplicolor bedliner on my roof because my Jeep got rolled and the paint was chipping off. I sanded the roof down and cleaned it with paint prep and then sprayed it with 3 layers of that duplicolor. That was in December and its already flaking off. I would suggest the Herculiner in the cargo area because it will withstand the abuse better. Trust me its well worth it.

I pulled out my carpet yesterday in the cargo area and patched a few holes, after that I used a DA with a light grit sandpaper to skuff up the paint underneath. The Herc kit comes with a brillo pad thing to skuff and take the glaze off of the paint underneath so you can use that for corners or if you dont have a DA or anything. The paints really thin so I ended up getting to raw metal in alot of area's. I recomend doind the Herc rather than the spray, I sprayed 3 coats on my rear bumper and its not holding up too well, you can use the spray underneath the side panels in the back for that "extra" rust prevention if you choose to do so.
I'll figure out how to post pics and show the process I did,
SketchyXJ​

freedom1st said:
I used the duplicolor spray on my headliner. I used 2 full cans to get a nice coating on the headliner. It works pretty well.

pics please...i was thinking of doing the same...headliner is coming down = time to fix one way or another

i did herculiner in the cargo area of my 95 xj about two maybe two and a half years ago. REMOVE ANY RUST that you come accross. scuff up the paint with a scotchbright pad or similar (remove the gloss to the paint) clean the paint with the recommended solvent and apply hurculiner. if you buy the one gallon kit available at most parts stores and home improvement stores, it will come with a gallon of said herculiner, an extra coarse foam roller, a paint brush, and a scotch bright pad (green). the roller is for most areas and the brush is for areas the roller cant get to and is used in the way that brushes are not meant to be used (a direct downward dabbing motion without horizontal brush strokes creating a textured effect same as the roller) the gallon kit is enough to do a 6 1/2 foot truck bed so there will be some left over. i did two coats on mine but i wasnt the greatest at cleaning it with solvent and i have been able to make two barely noticeable scratches in it. about a year after that i hurculined the top portion of my rock rails as a skid resistant surface with some of the left overs.

if you go with hurcliner be sure to tape off ALL areas that you dont want hurc on (rear cargo windows) especially if your going to do the tops of the wheel wells as well. get a couple of pairs of gloves- the thicker chem risistant "dish like" gloves. i did one pair and they were not useable after taking them off allowing the first coat to dry. wear a long sleeve shirt and pants if you dont want to be picking that stuff off your skin for a long while after the project is done (i had it stuck in my nails for 3 weeks). and for Gods sake, dont get any on your "hootus!" if you dont know what im talking about, do a search on here for it.

i definitely noticed an increase in noise levels in the jeep. if that bothers you, you could still line the cargo area with hurc or similar and reinstall the carpet but make it removeable allowing for easy clean up and still have the bennifits of the sound deadening properties of the carpet and underlayer.

hth
stewie

Hey Stewie, I searched for "hootus" and I couldnt find anything. I'm still confused on what it is. Can you tell me please, I'm going to line it tommorow and I dont wanna mess up.
Does anyone know what that black thing with wires coming out of it is under the seats?
It sound dumb but I cant figure it out, Thanks.
SketchyXJ

:tear: Nevermind the "hootus" I'm sorry I searched for it now that I know what it is. I'm alittle afraid now.
Do you need a thinner when you Herculine? would you recomend it?

Hey you asked :D just make sure you hands are clean before touching....um....body parts. :scared:

When I look at my previous post now, since I know what it is it really sounds bad. oh well, Thank you 97XJ Jeeper

And thanks Freedom1st, I'll be sure to look at the pics befor I start tomorrow.
Did you guys put the side panels back in place?

So you know ahead of time, I pulled the head liner and scraped most the foam and then started layering on the liner. The first layer pretty well soaked into the fiberglass mat, and then it started building. I still need to go back and do some touch up, but I like the look.

I eventually wanna do the headliner too, I was going to put the plastic side panels back in the cargo area once the floor and wheel wells are Herc'd but now I'm kinda thinkin about either painting em or spraying em with rubberized undercoat, I think the Herc'll be too heavy.

Well, Here they are:
2389930610_df2e5eee5e.jpg

This is the long shot. You can kind of see the foam backing that didn't come off in the original cleaning. It soaked up the coating and is very brittle. A good sweep would clean it up, but I haven't had the time.
2389930792_07bc99b1c2.jpg

A closer view (note the stylish interior antenna :yap:, Also note I left out the sun visors and removed the clips)
2389100203_5275da07e9.jpg
2389099991_324040440f.jpg

Looks good!! I did my cargo area today, I like the look of this too, maybe next weekend.
Was is a pain to do since it was overhead?
I bet it sounds cool when rain hit it too!:looney:

It was really pretty easy. The headliner has a thick fiberglass mat so I pulled the trim and removed the mat. Then I cleaned the liner material and foam backing off of the fiberglass mat and used the liner on the mat. I liked the look with no mat in it, but I drive a black XJ in Texas with no A/C, summer would kill me. I pulled the mat and reinstalled it without help but caused a little damage, which the trim mostly hides. I'd recommend getting a second set of hands.

Yea that heat must suck with it out.
I'll try doing it next weekend, I just did the back really thick and with even with some spills I have a bunch left.
Thanks

Back