• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV3550, NSG370 and 242

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
First question, is there any version of the NSG370 that has a separate bellhousing from the case? This photo would seem to indicate that the NSG370 only comes with bellhousing integrated:
nsg370_2.jpg

Second question, besides the spline difference in the older NP/NV Xfer case is there any reason a NP/NV242 would not bolt to the NV3550?

Third question, besides the spline difference in the older NP/NV Xfer case is there any reason a NP/NV242 would not bolt to the NSG370?

I think the last year for the TJ came with 6spds so you probably could use that tranny. The one you have pictured is likely from a liberty.

A six speed in a XJ would be sweet.

The NSG370 was used behind the 4.0 in the TJ and LJ (Unlimited).

People on this site have stated that it has a lower torque rating than the NV3550.

IslanderOffRoad said:
The NSG370 was used behind the 4.0 in the TJ and LJ (Unlimited).

People on this site have stated that it has a lower torque rating than the NV3550.

That is also not good.

My problem still remains, I need to bolt a transmission to a bellhousing, the 4L bellhousing is of no use to me. I have a NV3550 bellhousing for my engine, so a NV3550 would be a direct boltup to my NV3550.

Throw in that it would take some effort to mate a NSG370(without a bellhousing) to my bellhousing, no benefit on final drive gearing, and a potentially weaker transmission, and I have a fully nailed coffin. So the NSG is out.

So back to the other question, any problems bolting a NV242 up to the NV3550? Obviously the older NP/NV242 with the different spline count will be a problem, but other than that any issues?

The NV 3550 will bolt up to a 242, as long as your 242 has a 23 spline input. Go with the 3550...you will be happy when it doesn't pop out of reverse.....

Justin

xjjeeper19 said:
The NV 3550 will bolt up to a 242, as long as your 242 has a 23 spline input. Go with the 3550...you will be happy when it doesn't pop out of reverse.....

Justin

Copy that. I have the bellhousing for a NV3550, so the NV3550 makes to most sense.

I've never owned a Jeep with the NV3550, only the AX15, and I thought it was a perfectly fine trans, anything with the NV3550 to be aware of?

Seeing some gear calculators on line, they list a "short" and "tall" or long/close versions of gearing.

Where do those differences come in? I suppose it does not matter much to me since the 5th gear ratio is all the same, but its nice to know which version have what.

What engine are you putting it behind? That information can be extremely helpful in this kind of a situation. I assumed it was going behind a 4.0, becuase, well, thats what XJ's have.

IslanderOffRoad said:
What engine are you putting it behind? That information can be extremely helpful in this kind of a situation. I assumed it was going behind a 4.0, becuase, well, thats what XJ's have.

this is behind a VM2.5 engine. Like I said, I have a NV bellhousing for a NV3550 to mate to the VM engine, which pretty much nails the coffin for the NSG trans.

zluster said:
this is behind a VM2.5 engine. Like I said, I have a NV bellhousing for a NV3550 to mate to the VM engine, which pretty much nails the coffin for the NSG trans.

I will say it again..you don't want thae NSG..... first gear might be better, but it's really not worth it....Just buy the NV

Justin

justin, you seem to know about these trannys, how much difference in length is there with nv3550 and the aw4? enough to require me to toss my fancy ds i put on with my lift for a longer/shorter one?

Reviving a dead thread.

So I may be doing this swap of a 4.0 to NV3550 to 242.

Has anybody done this and what hurdles might I be looking at?

I assume there are late model (98) clutch pedel assemblys to just bolt in?

Thanks for any pointers here.

There are at least 2 different NV3550s: The ones from Wranglers have the x-fer case bolt pattern clocked 10-deg "higher" (i.e. the x-fer case will interfere with the floorboards, and the factory linkages will not properly align) than the ones from the XJ. I have seen pictures of some that are dual-drilled. Make sure you have a set of the correct holes for the x-fer case before you put that sucker in...if you want to do it the easy way. Otherwise, you may need a BFH, angle grinder, and an aftermarket (NOVAK) x-fer case shift assembly. That is my only $.02 on the matter.

Back