• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanted: Unusual axle shaft?

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=243820968#post243820968

As indicated in the above thread, this guy's '90 Laredo was a "loaded" rig from the factory. To date, I've never seen an ABS equipped XJ earlier than '91. He failed to mention that he had ABS when I sold him a non-disco 260 shaft.

So, to help this guy out, does anyone have a right side (long) 297 shaft with the ABS ring that will work with his '90 Laredo? I'm thinking this might be a fairly rare/hard to find item..... :dunno:

I don't have any spare axles, but have seen the old Bendix 9 systems on the renix era XJs with the Limited trim level. I wish I knew more about these before I sold my old core.

I think I saw one withing the last few weeks at PNS, if not Western. They are not that common, but they do show up.

Thanks Mike,

I figured you would pipe-up on this topic - you've spent enough time stomping around the yards and have seen lots of these oddities.

"Bendix 9" huh?

I believe that's also the POS system that has a lifetime recall...never paid too much attention since my '89 had "regular" brakes.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I just might be cruising the yards after work tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out if I do make it there.

The more I think about it, disabling the ABS solonoids may be worth an experiment. I never had a real problem with the ABS, just the booster pump and it's relay. When it worked, it worked great. I left it alone until the pump started squalling.

Jim, I looked into the warranty. If that info was correct, only part of the system was covered, labor was not covered: Another case of "we don't have to kiss you first". When I swapped in the dual diaphram unit from a '96, I think I spent around $100. That includes a new MC, extra lines, the nifty new tubing bender, and wrench set I just HAD to have. 8-P

Hypoid said:
I just might be cruising the yards after work tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out if I do make it there.
Talk aobut a dry well! No ABS of any year at Western or Pull-N-Save.

U-Joint aside, I don't know what other differences there would be between an ABS axle from one year or another. Here is what the '90 looks like:

ABS.jpg

Hypoid said:
Talk aobut a dry well! No ABS of any year at Western or Pull-N-Save.

U-Joint aside, I don't know what other differences there would be between an ABS axle from one year or another. Here is what the '90 looks like:

ABS.jpg

We have a 89' 4 door we are currently parting out.
It has ABS. it runs and drives but has a scored rod bearing.

Need any other part of ABS system?

Hows $75 for BOTH sides sound?

XJR

Here is what I have:

XJR

Still need these?

Price too high?

XJR

Do I? No, I hope not. Maybe Troy's buyer still has a need.

When I sold my old carcass on Craigslist, a TJ owner bought it to upgrade from his low pinion front axle assembly. He told me it was a bolt-on improvement. ;)

At the time, I had no clue that I was giving him the larger U-Joints in the deal. I hope he's wheelin the snot out of it! LOL

HTH

Well, I haven't heard back from the guy. I was looking to source them for him, but last week was the last time he called and he asked me if I had any non-disco HP D30's to sell so maybe he's gone that route. :dunno:

Back