• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP

TALLRAM

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to make one out of two XJ Jeeps, I have been told that the NP231 from my 1993 4.0 aw4 will bolt up to my 1995 4cyl 5-spd, I believe since the 5-spd is stock it is AX-15 which means they should both be 23 spline. My question is will the NP231 from the auto bolt up to the 5-spd assuming the splines are the same? Is the bolt pattern the same? What is the 6 or 8 point bolt socket size the is used at the top of the aw4 to 4.0? Metric no doubt.

The input gear on the cases are different. One is longer than the other. The stick version is longer. If you took the stick case on an auto trans, it would be ok, the imput gear just goes in further on the seal in trans, but the other way around and the imput gear from an auto to a manual trans wont reach the seal and will leak. That bolt is a torx bolt. An 8 point 10mm (IIRC) socket will remove it. Drop the cross member and let trans drop enough to reach over the trans and remove it.

I do appreciate the feedback guys, these are things that I would have worked my way thru one way or another but I am trying to be as prepared as possible so I can knock this out this weekend.
Is there anything special to know about swapping out the input shafts besides new seals and gaskets? It has been suggested to me before as if it is no big deal.
I must be getting older because I layed on my back a long time not wanting to work on it.:exclamati

The 231 in the 1995 was half missing when I got it back from letting my sister use it for school. My dad accused her of leaving it in 4wd maybe she thought 4wH would be O.K. I wonder why it chunked the front drive shaft when it should not have been turning???? The chain was not broke. To answer to the question I wanted the 4.0 AW4 but the trans is bad the 231 good and I do not have the denero right now so I had to rob the dream rig to get one on the road. The 93 is the second H.O 4.0 I have owned and I never here about it but I have spanked many late model mustangs camaros ect. The 4.0 I have now will fry the 31 inch all terrain tires at will. But the 2.5 will get better gas mileage.

tchase said:
Trans in the 4cyl is not an AX-15, but an AX-5. Not sure how this affects your swap though.

This is from the information stcky at the begining of the forum

Asin-Warner AX15: 5-speed in 90-00 4.0l I-6cyl and 2.5l I-4 models. Earlier versions use an internal slave cylinder, which changed to an external slave cylinder sometime in the mid 90s. 23-spline output shaft. 3.07:1 axle gear ratio.
Gear ratios: (1) 3.83:1 (2) 2.33:1 (3) 1.44:1 (4) 1:1 (5) 0.79:1 (R) 4.22:1

If this is right,they didnt use the AX-5 after 89

The swap is done and It is all good, I swapped the whole input gear set not because there was a length differance but because the shaft dia. was smaller on the AX-15 than the AW4. Thanks for any help provided

frank36 said:
This is from the information stcky at the begining of the forum

Asin-Warner AX15: 5-speed in 90-00 4.0l I-6cyl and 2.5l I-4 models. Earlier versions use an internal slave cylinder, which changed to an external slave cylinder sometime in the mid 90s. 23-spline output shaft. 3.07:1 axle gear ratio.
Gear ratios: (1) 3.83:1 (2) 2.33:1 (3) 1.44:1 (4) 1:1 (5) 0.79:1 (R) 4.22:1

If this is right,they didnt use the AX-5 after 89

Ok then this info is wrong,your tranny must have been the AX-5.Somebody needs to go into the FAQ and change it.

Frank the FAQ may or may not be right but according to the Novak site there where forty something different input gear arrangements on the 231. How many variations in the Cherokee it does not say but I thank it is safe to say that there are some odd balls. I am finding the same to be true of the front drive shaft length.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

After revisiting the Novak site and rereading I see it shows 5 different 23 spline input gears and two different 21 spline gears. The one I pulled out from behind the 5-spd in the 1995 was 21 spline. When I posted earlier I stated the dia. of the input bore was smaller which is true but that is due to 21 spline vs. 23. I am learning alot about the 231 and am starting to respect it more. If my sister did not leave it in 4wd on dry highway than she must have missed the u-joint tell tell signs of failure or there was no warning,, unlikely. I let her use my 93 with aw4 and it took her 3 wks to tell me reverse was not working. Her logic (yeah right) must have been that I would take it away from her. Sharing sucks - apparently some think vehicles run on majic not maintiance.

Back