• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock cylinder/ignition switch issues

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I started out to replace my lock cylinder with a new one this evening. I wanted to replace it because it would not return to the lock position. I followed shelbyluv's directions and everything was going great. I went to install the new cylinder and it has the same issues. I messed with the linkages on the top of the column but can't get the cylinder to return to the lock position. What am I doing wrong? The linkages on the top of the column move like they are supposed to.

Is the mechanism that transfers the rotation on the lock cylinder to the linkage the problem?

I went to the junk yard today and all the colums there had the same issue. None of the lock cylinders would return to lock. Is this a common problem? What do I need to do to fix it? I'm am totally new to Jeeps.

Also I found a brown wire that connects to the ignition switch that was burnt looking. It popped out of the switch. I don't know what it runs but the Jeep runs without it connected. What do I need to do?

The Jeep is the one in the sig. 1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited. It has the tilt column.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have the classic Renix brown wire ignition switch syndrome. That wire goes to the A/C-Heat blower, turn signals, back up lights and radio (and horn I think). If it is burned out chances are your real problem is a bad igntion switch, down lower on the column. It is operated by the linkage that connects to the lock you are replacing. A bad ignition switch mimics a bad lock cylinder.

There are some recent, and many older threads here on replacing the ignition switch, with lots of details, just search for "ignition switch" in this forum. When you replace it you might want to bypass the ignition switch for the feed to that brown wire and use a larger gauge wire coming and going and a heavy duty relay operated from the ignition switch . I upgraded to 10 Gauge wires on that run and a 30 amp fuse for the blower. There is a good thread on that too, less than a week old right here in this forum already.

Thanks Ecomike.

I did some searching on the lock cylinder but not so much on the ignition switch. I saw a bunch of posts with AC, blower and signal issues and thought they didn't apply to me since I didn't have these issues before I took the switch out (don't know what I'm going to have once I get it all put back together).

I luckily bought a ignition switch so I will be digging a little deeper into my column.

I wish I was better at electrical stuff. I read all the info about the 30 amp relays and switches but just can't picture all this in my mind. Would anybody have a photo or drawing of what they used?

Thanks again.

Like Mike said, sounds like the switch is toast. There's a rod that connects the lock cyl to the switch inside the column. Rotating the cyl, slides the switch. If the switch is bad (burnt/broken contacts) it will prevent the lock cyl from rotating fully. When mine cooked, I couldn't get it out of "OFF" without really struggling. Once in Run, I could Start fine. Accessory position wad impossible.

It's not a terribly difficult job to do. I'd take out the driver's seat though so you can lay under the dash without the contortions. Lot's of writeups on it. The switch itself is pretty cheap.

You guys were right on the money.

I went out in the shop this am and pulled the ignition switch out and bingo, it was froze tight. Went to the parts XJ and got the blue plastic plug (mine was brittle and burnt) and swapped it out. I installed the new ignition switch and lock cylinder. I had to mess with it and got everything working smoothly.

I can start it with the key! The cylinder now returns to the lock position and the accessory if I need it to. $20.00 for the ignition switch and lock cylinder. This was my first major project on my new XJ and I've got it working good.

I now have it registered and insured so now for a little driving to work out any bugs that might be hiding.

glad to hear, good thing for parts cars! once upon a time mine was stolen, the linkage is buggered ,I've lived with it a while but now I too have a parts xj,time too fix her

I was having the same brown wire problem before some one tried to steal my Jeep last week. I didn't have any blinkers blower rear defrost ect. I temp fixed my problem by wiggling the lock cylinder. hope this diagram helps
2414441_21_full.jpg

This is the part ofthe wiring diagram that you should need.

Back