• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No 4x4....WTH?!?!?!? Help needed fast!!

Tiffster

NAXJA Forum User
OK so the pending sale of the XJ is no longer pending...stupid Jeep will not go in to 4x (Lo or Hi).

Now let me backtrack a bit cause I need some help quick!!!

About 3-4 weeks ago Jeepy was in 4HI just fine...street tires suck so still a good bit of slippage, but it was doing its thing. Haven't had it in 4x anythign since then.

Today, had a vacuum problem fixed, think the lines were rerouted and all that and tonight no 4x.

My feeble brain says vacuum, but I really dont do the mechanics thing so am hoping someone can help me out here.

I need this fixed ASAP as the Jeep needs to go to a new home so my new car can come home (Jeep HAS to go before new car can be mine).

Any thoughts?

Tiff,

I don't think the 4wd on your 99 use vacuum for activation, it it strictly chosen by the transfer case linkage. You might take a look at the linkage, it has little plastic couplers that are known to fail.

Fred

OK, that helps me out. Another thing to point out....the little vacuum ball under the bumper, it's gone. Does this play a major part in the equation?

And yes, I am that dense so excuse my stupidity. Just pissed off right now about this.

The cacuum ball might effect the working of the heating system and the cruise control but shouldn't have anything to do with the 4wd.

Fred

Yeah, Tiff - the XJ's quit using vacuum for any of the 4x4 operations way back in '90 IIRC.

4x activation is simply pulling the lever. If it's not engaging, I'd think you'd feel it in the mechanical operation - meaning grinding noises, or hard lever pull, etc.

Are you POSITIVE the front isn't engaging? Since we now have some decent snow fall, get someone to watch the front tires as you take off in the slick stuff and see if they pull/spin.

I can't imagine 4x simply quits - as if there was no front drive shaft or something.

But I'm with Fred - might be disconnected linkage between the lever and the t-case, but I'd think you'd feel that too - real easy pull of the lever, no notchy feel as it moves through the gear selection.

have you checked fluid level in the t-case?

OK, so no go on vacuum. And yeah, the reason I had it looked at today was lack of heat. Now I have heat, they rerouted the vac lines and I have heat and cruise (didnt know I didnt have cruise anyway).

So the back tires spin like mad, front doesnt seem to do much of anything. My initial thought was the crappy street tires are just spinning out and pretty much making the rest of it a non-issue. Doutbful that is the only problem.

The lever shifts pretty smoth for me, when he did it there was grinding. Guessing I know my Jeeps sweet spot...

I have not checked the fluid level but will try to do that tomorrow.

Bigger problem for me is that I cant crawl around under the jeep due to my shoulder. Going to try to give it a go tomorrow, but may need to get it to the shop...again.

I guess I should ask...could crappy street tires be the cause of this?

The front tires should spin or pull when engaged right, even if all that happens is they slip?

Quick check Tiffany- put it in 4 high and turn on dry pavement. The instant you feel a bind or jerk in the steering wheel, straighten it back out, you've just confirmed 4 wheel drive operation.

Do NOT do this and turn at full lock, you might break something- turn only sharp enough to feel bind and you'll be just fine.

Now I just have to find some dry pavement under all the snow at my house...LOL!

So I will do that test in the parking garage tomorrow, and try to check the linkage and fluid levels. Any other suggestions?

It's snowing down there?

Well- in 2WD, parked, grab the front driveshaft. Give it a twist, it should only move back and forth about a 1/4 turn. Your xj has no vacuum disconnect, as mentioned, so the front driveshaft is engaged to the guts of the front axle at all times. The coupling into 4WD is made only in the transfer case.

If you can turn the front driveshaft freely you gots problems.

Last edited:
Tiffster said:
The lever shifts pretty smoth for me, when he did it there was grinding. Guessing I know my Jeeps sweet spot...
Cha-Ching! Tell the new owner-to-be that you need to have the tranny in Neutral before shifting into 4wd. It is the easiest way to unload the drive train.

Not sure if this helps but that shift linkage on mine got bent some how one time on a wheeling trip so I could get it into 4HI but not 4Lo and when trying to get it into 4Lo grinding sounds would happen so I just backed off of that and made it out of the trail in 4Hi. With it bent it couldn’t place it far enough back to click into 4Lo all the way and it would spin hence the grinding noise. Now if it’s grinding in 4Hi and 4Lo then I’d say the problem lies in the Tcase. If you can check out that linkage and make sure it’s not bent. When I went to the dealer he said they “kind of knew about it” He said they had extra replacements for them already. Like it wasn’t a full recall just a hey techs if you see it take care of it type of thing. SO they swapped it and did my oil for me at the same time no charge. This is only after I’ve had some issues with them so they are nice and put the chapstick on to kiss my A$$ when I go in there. New set of guys working there so they don’t do that anymore but they better stay inline.

OK, so I have some pics and am at least visually aware of what I am looking for in the linkage...now to figure out how to get my ass on the ground and under the Jeep....then back up.

Joy! Anyone near the DTC and might be able to help me diagnose this?

Do you have a creaper?

If not it's time to teach those boys a little 101 in what is that part game. send one of the boys with a camera under it. Mirror on a stick maybe?

Just brain storming for ya.

Tiff, I'm in the tech center and could be available to meet up and try to give you a hand over the lunch hour tomorrow if you haven't addressed it by then...

Back