• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering hose routing

Trouble

NAXJA Forum User
I hate the radiator hose that gets in the way when trying to tighten them . The damn pump pulley from china wound not go on the pump, I tried with the tool they give you then tried the correct tool and an impact. nothign worked. The pulley was .08 " different. Yes I know they are tapered but this was way too much difference.

Last edited:
Trouble said:
I hate the radiator hose that gets in the way when trying to tighten them . The damn pump pulley from china wound not go on the pump, I tried with the tool they give you then tried the correct tool and an impact. nothign worked. The pulley was .08 " different. Yes I know they are tapered but this was way too much difference.
is there a question or just general rant :D If it's the latter.... I hear you: it can be a bitch ;)

Yea its a rant. I was up till 2am last night and ive been working onthis since 10 am today. It usually is really simple, in and out and your done. BUt no , not this time. It had to be one of those times where every thign strippes out, tools break. I want to shoot my jeep with a .45 gold dot if that dont work it will be time for some M993.

Trouble said:
Yea its a rant. I was up till 2am last night and ive been working onthis since 10 am today. It usually is really simple, in and out and your done. BUt no , not this time. It had to be one of those times where every thign strippes out, tools break. I want to shoot my jeep with a .45 gold dot if that dont work it will be time for some M993.
Cool, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a question or something ;)

Gold dot? shitty engine block penetration ;)

You mean the routing that hundreds of thousand of man hours of folks you'll never ever be as smart as that designed a system that has billions of road miles behind it on tens of different vehicles is the blame for your lack of experience, lack of tools, lack of ability to improvise, and lack of common sense when it comes to buying parts from the dealer because it's the stealership as opposed to parts from China?

You have my sympathy, really.

:D

--ron

Captain Ron said:
You mean the routing that hundreds of thousand of man hours of folks you'll never ever be as smart as that designed a system that has billions of road miles behind it on tens of different vehicles is the blame for your lack of experience, lack of tools, lack of ability to improvise, and lack of common sense when it comes to buying parts from the dealer because it's the stealership as opposed to parts from China?

You have my sympathy, really.

--ron
Holy runoff sentence!! Btw, I had a dealership hose that didn't want to fit right either :D

Kejtar said:
Holy runoff sentence!! Btw, I had a dealership hose that didn't want to fit right either :D

Quite talented, isn't I.

I'd take the dealership hose that doesn't fit any day over the China part. Although, it's worth a few beers'o fun watching some kid slit his wrists over the China part because he has no baseline to even draw the line (heh, heh...) when to quit.

Exhibit A.) An unamed XJ knowitall I see every day (Scrappy...), is trying to get another unamed XJ engineering unknowitall's (Byran...) PS pump pulley off.

Visit one to my office: The Godamed PS pump shaft is made out of plastic, shits just pushing out of the center when I tighten down the puller...

Ok, first, you ruin my "paid good money for the right puller", you'll be sleeping on the beach this winter, two, think about it. It could have come from Iraq and the shaft would not be plastic, so get your thinking straight, Three, Byran has never had to pull this pump before?, Four, OK, it IS Bryans rig...

Visit two to my office: Effin thing will not come off...

Me: (Huffing) out to the shop: OK, one, why in Gods name are you trying to destroy my expensive puller? No, that piece does not go there, "well it's the only thing that fits...". Look, it does not go there, this rod does, and no matter how much you try to think otherwise, it will not work, period. What's so hard to understand about that?

Matt: (Crestfallen) Well, I've always used that rod too, but it will not go in the shaft, and it looks like the shaft is plastic, it just deforms.

Me: (Recovering from he who brings light to the lesser) Look, you have 6 pumps here, look at this one. See? Shaft, steel, very hard, with bore in center for properly installing and removing pulley. Why would any pump be different? Plastic shaft? Not likely.

Matt: (He who is getting mad because I'm bringing commonsense to his world of effort and failure) Well, so what the hell is this stuff in the shaft?

Me: (I'll skip the holier than thou from here) It looks like grease and dirt packed into the shaft, but I have something very basic for you to consider. There is a bore in this shaft, why not get a drill and drill into it? If in fact you are right, what have you to lose? Plastic shaft, throw it away and don't go wheeling. Life isn't over.

Matt: (Inspired...) Drills into stuff in shaft. Drills like putty, hits bottom of bore in shaft, can't go any further...

Me: (Holier than thou returning, thank God) Well whatdoyaknow, some dumb fucking kid put JB weld in there, for sure it won't come off for the next dumb fucking kid. Use puller as advertised. Can I go back to work now?

Matt: (Crestfallen all over again) Yah, but, Ron, can I use your spare steering box so Bryan can wheel this weekend? I have to leave his rig up north afterwards, so I'll put in in here, wheel, and take it back out before I come back on Monday.

Me: (Feeling the waste of time on the whole "common sense" thing) No problem.

Moral? Go ahead and use cheap parts, the wrong tools, and be dumb too. I could care less, it's not me and my time.

--ron

Kejtar said:
ROTFLMAO yeah.. sounds like Scrappy all right ;)

All sarcasm aside, it is truely worth the price of admission to these guys around. Sometimes, I'll get home late at night, pour a drink, and just start cracking up over something one of them said during the day.

I'll tell you one thing for sure that I've learned over the last few years as a immutable truth.

"Life, wasted on the youth".

--ron

I forgot one thing in all of that.

The part where Scrrapy was firing up the acetylene torch to heat the pulley up.

Serious, no lie.

--ron

Captain Ron said:
I forgot one thing in all of that.

The part where Scrrapy was firing up the acetylene torch to heat the pulley up.

Serious, no lie.

--ron
ROTFLMAO The one that was supposedly sitting on a plastic shaft? :D :D :D

Kejtar said:
ROTFLMAO The one that was supposedly sitting on a plastic shaft? :D :D :D

It's a whole story unto it's self.

See, after beatdown #1 from me, he dissapears for awhile. Well, Robert (and Chris) smell something over in that side of the shop. Robert is looking around, and see's Matt's head, kinda hiding behind one of the welding machines. Robert and Chris go over and look.

Robert: (?) ...
Chris: (Indignant) I'm gonna tell my dad. You're in trouble!
Me: (Pretending not to know, at the part of the story where I'm not being holier than thou) Matt, take your glasses off, tilt your head back. I peer into his pupils.

I see nothing.

--ron

Captain Ron said:
Me: (Pretending not to know, at the part of the story where I'm not being holier than thou) Matt, take your glasses off, tilt your head back. I peer into his pupils.

I see nothing.
ROTFLMAO You sure you didn't see something?? like a void? :D

Kejtar said:
ROTFLMAO You sure you didn't see something?? like a void? :D

Well, at first, I thought I caught a glimpse of something.

Then I realised, I'm wearing glasses, and it was a reflection.

--ron

LOL

oh...

god I am retarded alot of the time...

fawk...

But damn it sure makes for fun memories!

BTW, your spare box siezed... :D

Back