NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 27th, 2007, 11:47
NAXJA Forum User

Monroe load leveler shocks

Anybody ever try these in the rear of a Cherokee, I am still at stock height and need new shocks, thought this might be a way to stay at stock height and keep the sag from happening?
2000 wd
Old December 27th, 2007, 15:02
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Monroe load leveler shocks

We've been using Napa Airshocks for over a decade now on our XJ's with no problems, and they're made by Tennecco for Napa so they're from the same manufacturer as Monroe (part number between the Napa and Monroe shocks are nearly identical too.) as well as having a nitrogen charge to it besides the airspring. Best part is that you can adjust pressure depending on what kind of load you're using.
Old December 27th, 2007, 15:27
NAXJA Forum User

These are the ones I am looking at http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_loadlevel.cfm
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:19
NAXJA Forum User

I know, I still recommend the airshocks instead. Atleast with those you can vary the pressure for if you're loaded or not or even how much gas you have in the tank. They'll still allow for decent handling too, but will cause the truck to tighten up it's line if you're going from a right to left (or visa-versa) corners.
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyakfly
These are the ones I am looking at http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_loadlevel.cfm
Simple test, hold a stock shock next to a load leveler. If the shock on the load leveler is noticeably smaller pass on it. Sometimes they use a rather anemic shock, with the helper springs, because of space considerations.
I've had good luck with both Monroe and Gabriel air shocks, Gabriel used to make the shocks for Sears (identical numbers).
One good thing about air shocks, if you are sprung stiff, the air shocks can actually improve the ride. They can be inflated to lift some weight off of the stiff springs.
Old December 29th, 2007, 18:38
NAXJA Forum User

Mud's got a point here, they do help the ride even if the springs are tired since you'll have that cushion of air supporting the back end before you get into flexing the springs.
Old December 29th, 2007, 20:29
Semper Fi

Would air shocks help out if you are already saggy, and where can i find these. I searched but found nothing for the XJ
Old December 29th, 2007, 21:07
NAXJA Forum User

These are the ones that are currently on all three of our XJ's and IIRC the Monroe part number is the same except for the MA.
http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/158436.jpg
http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...ock+Kit+-+Rear

They might help with a saggy arse so long as it isn't too bad, big advantage is that they'll supplement whats there and add some to it.

Last edited by bjoehandley; December 29th, 2007 at 21:11.
Old December 29th, 2007, 21:29
NAXJA Forum User

I put these on my 2000 last year, they did raise the backend up a little, and help a lot when I hook up my camper. For the extra little price, I would recommend them.

Eric