• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydrogen

WPG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just wundering if there are any high tech freaks around here....You can't all be hillbillies :farmer:

Been thinking alot about running a hydrogen generator either under the hood (though probably wont' be room with addition of supercharger) or in the back running off excess power from the alternator.

There are a lot of people getting like 20% better milage and a large trucking company in the US is claiming almost 30% with their diesel trucks.

There is no storage tank, it makes it on the fly so even for some reason decided to go Hindenburg it'll pop the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdyaNmRtUto

for basic idea of it... though thats a bit much for a simple MPG boost. His generates quite a bit. Would need like a 1/4 of that for a little extra lovin'.

@ 1:14 is when the magic starts running 12v / 20A. 1/4 or 1/3 of that would be ideal for like 15-20% mpg increase.

And no this isn't poop. Real science....

I havent seen much on this, but how much current would be enough to run the 4.0? How cheap are the parts?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6340625256521685104&q=hydrogen+booster&total=56&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6493858519208175246&q=hydrogen+booster&total=56&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PhVW8K0hfU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1LHNojGZuo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpDtGlL6bCI

ect... ect....

oh this was also quite cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZOsOB3z3IE&feature=related

Doesn't take as much as you might think... and realistically how much hp does it take to make 10 amps off an alternator?

EDIT:

damn had an extra long "PS" part here but clicked wrong button.

I'm not trying to sell anything, was just wundering if anyone had tried it or was also looking into it. We used to use liquid drano and tinfoil to make hydrogen to fire our patato guns....
In small quantities it still packs a punch... and large quantities.. well remember the hindinburg. Wouldn't take much to help offset gas mileage.

I'm gonna buy a few things tommorow and a good container, make some hydrogen and take my air filter off so I can release gas into the inlet see if it revs the engine at all.
and I'll see if it does anything funny to air/fuel ratio.

If it blips my rpm niceley enough I'll go wide and do up a system... maybe it'll help offset my mpg once my supercharger is installed.

Last edited:
You do realize that the atmosphere is almost 80% Nitrogen? Even if you add 100% pure nitrogen to the system, you are probably only increasing the net intake percentage from 80% to 83%. If it was so good - you would probably have racers using straight nitrogen instead of nitrous oxide (which they use for the oxygen).

Not to mention - the Hindenberg used Hydrogen. Hydrogen is the flammable gas. Nitrogen is not flammable - they use it in airplane tires so that in event of a blowout there is not a fire.

So why would you want to add a non-flammable gas to the system? Junk science at its finest. When you fired your potato guns, it was the pressure not the flammability of the gas that would launch the potato.

Local places are putting it into tires and putting green caps on them. They use nitrogen because it is an easy/cheap gas to buy in cylinders. They will lie and tell you that it preserves tires but that it simply not true. Nitrogen will not escape slower than oxygen even though it has larger molecule size.

Last edited:
Dude did you read or just jump to the end?

I'm gonna buy a few things tommorow and a good container, make some hydrogen and take my air filter off so I can release gas into the inlet see if it revs the engine at all.

This is some of his write up...

scottmcneal said:
Dude did you read or just jump to the end?

This is some of his write up...

I did, and I watched the videos. Either I completely miss the point (which is possible) or nitrogen will do nothing.

Just use water injection if you need something.

well I didn't watch the video's but I did read the whole post and the original poster did not mention nitrogen,.......anyway to your other point about putting it in tires, the main reason it is used is the fact that it's dry, no water molecules to expand and contract with temps,thats why race cars like nascar use it.....btw shops already have air compressors why would they buy "cheap gas" to put into tires.

uh

where do you get nitrogen from? I had to make sure I wrote "hydrogen" as the topic.. you had me scared for a minute.

And btw.. not making the who engine run off the stuff. People are pumping in some to help use less gasoline. Added benefits are huge increase in mpg and noticeable power.

Its not likes going to feel like your running off NOS full time lol.... from one guy on youtube he said he didn't have to downshift quite as often or as soon going up hills and such.

And you know what even if it didn't work and it all it did was replace some gasoline with this alternitive fuel... 1) its going to save you a few bux... 2) it will help your emissions and not pollute as much.

Either way, I'm going to give it a shot. Don't see anyone else trying anything different atm so screw it. :)

Besides it'll give me good practice for write ups when I start my S/C installation

Listen guys, this is not a joke. You can run a typical motor on hydrogen, but as some of you mentioned, producing it from a generator is the hard part.

My uncles and I rigged a Brigs & Straton motor to run on hydrogen. We made a valve system that is manually operated, which is our way to throttle the motor. We had to change the timing gear with some hillbilly inginuity to retard it enough to not detonate. It works and is fun to play with.

My point is that we got this idea from a fellow farmer who is a book worm. There is a book wriiten by a gentleman, that lives in Arizona, who has ran a toyota for years on hydrogen, and he even produces the hydrogen at his house. The whole process for living on hydrogen is detailed in the book. I will try to contact my uncles to see if they can get the farmer to remind me of the title.

We have been wanting to figure out a way to run a jeep on full hydrogen, but we have only two jeeps and both have coil pack ignition. We are not computer wizzes, or we would try to reprogram the ECM. Very cool to see that I am not the only crazy guy looking at trying something like this.

xjjeepcjs said:
Very cool to see that I am not the only crazy guy looking at trying something like this.

you and me both lol ..... hell if I could avoid burning $5 (5 litres here) worth of gas per tank I'd be happy. Even if I still got the same mileage/power ect... knowing I didn't burn that 5 litres of gas and instead burnt an eco friendly fuel it would be worth the hassle to me.

Plus what an experiment.. what if by the grace of the Jeep gods my Scanguage II was reading 3 or 4+ extra mpg? Far fetched but thats what this is about

ME:
:lecture: :repair: :attom:
burnout.gif
:flame: :smsoap:

just had a similar discussion with my dad no more than an hour ago...

with no load on it, an alternator will create no current. the only loss of energy will be friction. adding a load to the circuit will make it harder for the alrternator to keep spinning, and require more energy from the engine to keep it at a given current.

because no process is 100% efficient, it takes more energy to create hydrogen than you would recieve when that hydrogen is then burned.

generating hydrogen from electricity created from the engine and alternator, and then burning along with the normal amount of fuel should have, at best, no effect on the performance of the engine.

also, do you have any NON-YOUTUBE evidence? you-tube is great and all, but its not exactly as credible as a university study...

EDIT:could it be possible that the removal of the air filter (as found in a few of the videos) is causing these increases rather than the addition of the hydrogen?

Never said you could not run a engine on hydrogen....just that you cannot produce enough in a small package to make it feasable.

Wanna install a tank, and run on hydrogen, go ahead.

The idea of a small "generator" producing enough to matter is BS.

Rev

dammit... UPS Decided to finally put the brokerage/duty fees on my credit card... had bunch of stuff at counter *DENIED*

Chicks all looking at me like I'm a bumb...like screw you lady I make more in 12 hrs than you do in a week. Go put this crap away yourself then.. excuse me for mass xmas spending retard.

S'ok payday on 15th. I'll giver another whirl.

Rev Den said:
Never said you could not run a engine on hydrogen....just that you cannot produce enough in a small package to make it feasable.

Wanna install a tank, and run on hydrogen, go ahead.

The idea of a small "generator" producing enough to matter is BS.

Rev
Im agreeing with you on that, it's just too much work to do it yourself for what its worth. Controlling all of this is going to be much much harder. Good luck.

Back