• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quarter elliptical

CrazyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building a QE on a comanche most of questions have been answered and everything is in line except one thing the leafs I've searched the forom and have read many posts, but I haven't seen what leafs to use. can anyone help?

Depends on your design and the length that the spring needs to be.

The 3" Ford springs seem to be fairly popular due to the higher spring rate of each individual leaf. Front F-350 springs are used a lot, as they are very thick, and have a large pin offset. Rears work well if you have a shorter distance to span.

Are you planning captured or pivoting hangers? What is the distance between the spring eye and mount on the axle?

I guess I'm a little lost what do you mean spring eye. Dont you actually cut one end of the leaf and box it in than hinge the box. I'm trying to build this off of the pictures i've seen on here. I'm lost on the whole spring deal the 4 link cake the front long arm no broblem I just don't understand exactly how the spring should be.

You can hinge the box or capture it. You can also use a short bit of a main leaf and pivot your pack from that rather than buils a box. You should capture the axle end for sure.

What is the length of your spring? You can find various spring rate calculators online, but they are difficult to use with a QE setup.

used stock rear MJ springs, cut them up, built a box and hinged it at the frame. Built shackles to attach at the axle end (look close they are stock ones that have been modified).

MVC-029S.jpg

MVC-027S.jpg

MVC-026S.jpg

MVC-025S.jpg

DCP_0020_7.jpg

Questions about that hinged box and the larger box above the hinge. It looks like the box ends before the hinge area. Did you bolt a piece of one of the main leaves on going the other way and are using that for the hinge? If not, what exactly hinges? Also, why such a large square piece of box steel above the hinged box? That is where most of the spring force will be concentrated, so it needs to be beefy? Would you do this sort of suspension again and more to the point, would you do it differently and how? Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Questions about that hinged box and the larger box above the hinge. It looks like the box ends before the hinge area. Did you bolt a piece of one of the main leaves on going the other way and are using that for the hinge? Jeff
Exactly what was done. We boxed the "frame" for a clean look with strength. Yes I would do it again just like that, I had no complaints at all. I did run a sway bar back there and I would def. recommend one. It wasn't as quick or easy as slapping air shocks or coilovers back there, but it was way cheaper . I liked it being different too, makes for cool points.

BIGWOODY said:
Exactly what was done. We boxed the "frame" for a clean look with strength. Yes I would do it again just like that, I had no complaints at all. I did run a sway bar back there and I would def. recommend one. It wasn't as quick or easy as slapping air shocks or coilovers back there, but it was way cheaper . I liked it being different too, makes for cool points.

Got any better pictures of the sway bar and it's mounts? I can just barely see it in the last picture. Where do the links attach? To the axle? What bar and ends did you use? Jeff

Bigwoody not trying to be a pain in the ass but my buggy is now sitting on jack stands and still haven't figured out exactly how to build the leaf section right, I will use the stock leafs do you have more pictures that maybe you could email. by the way I just moved from your area my family lives in Concord. When this thing is done would like to go up and ride with you guys.

Back